They're SOOOOO Ugly!

ChrisMack

It's probably no secret to most of you, That Im an avid fan of the extra Cool Elephantnose fish.....Well on a recent excursion around Christchurch (or doing the rounds as we call it) I made a visit to Organism (one of the better shops for 'oddball' fish......and there in one of thier display/sell tanks were two of the uglyest things I've seen :o

SHORT NOSED ELEPHANTNOSE FISH!

How they even get the name of elephantnose is beyond me......they dont even have a 'trunk'

So it does pose a question.....what fish do you guys think is the "ugliest fish" you've seen?

ChrisMack

Ugliest I've seen in real life - albino anything (even those euphamistically labelled 'golden'), especially full size albino giant gourami's (one of the local shops has one).

Ugliest seen in pictures - long-fin neon tetras.

Personally I didn't think the short-nose elephant noses were too bad - didn't have a movable trunk but still did have an elongated snout - flicking through the book I couldn't pin it down to a particular species - some of the possibilities get 50-60cm long.

Rob I can't believe that you said that about the albino giant gourami, I think he is cute........me has to wonder now if I have bad taste.......so you guy that I thought were cute, take a look inthe mirror for me and let me know.....lol

I'd completely forgotten about the assorted fancy goldfish - there's a type that has arrived on the seen recently that have been breed so that they are missing their gill plates (ie gills are now exposed) - in any other type of fish these would be culls.

As for the giant gourami - it's just large and pink. I admit that I do go in and watch it - but it's the same kind of morbid facination that the female heavy-weight bulgarian weight lifters generate during the olympics.

Oh yeah....and I guess Rob will be getting excited now...the olympics arent far away! :lol:

Better hope they have coverage of weightlifting!

Kim, I take it you have one (some) short-nosed elephant nosed fish?

as ugly as they are...at least they are different from the normal fish that 'most' people associate with a fish tank.....are they the same as elephant nose fish, in respect to 'supposedly' only having one per tank?

ChrisMack

• 4 weeks later...

i like the elephant-nose, although it reminds me of a sr71 blackbird on its side with eyes and a long nose.

the fish i find generally the ugliest would be most of the tetra collection, but i find them ugly in the same way i don't like the look of the lamborghini countach because i have seen it too often. I have glowlights and they are not pretty when they get larger - they look like their scales are too big for their bodies.

and the latest addition of ugly fish that i want to get: chocolate/brown knife fish. Saw one for the fist time in r/l today, must buy it! this also goes for the banded knife, but hes not ugly.