Are barbs sensitive to light?

Caper

So are they, I can't find anything on the net that says they are.

As I have said before, since I've moved them downstairs in my apartment I'm obviously spending much more time watching them.

No matter where there tank is/was, the morning feed was always mad rush. But the evening they didn't seem to make such an effort, used to think that maybe they weren't hungry.

Then yesterday, it was still fairly bright outside so I didn't turn on the tank lights to feed them and zoom up they came! Also, as soon as I turn off the tank light in the evening, they immediately all go up.

So what do you wise fishy people think?

Also, my light will flicker lately when I first turn it on, so I'm thinking it maybe time for a new one. If this is the case, would a light that is not working properly have any effect on the fish?

Caper

My kokopu are supposedly nocturnal, but they come out when the light comes on. It is on 7-8am then 1-10pm. During the day when the light is off they are under the rockery.

My torrentfish have a similar light arrangement. They supposedly leave the torrents in the evening and feed over the night in the quiet pools. I think mine are more active when I feed them in the morning than in the evening.

I think part of what aquarium fish do is an instinctive part of each fish, but part is what they learn in the aquarium. If someone only ever feeds their fish in the morning, and maintenance is more likely to happen in the evening, they will probably go to the surface expecting food in the morning, but not when the owner goes to the tank later in the day.