DISCUS keepers?

danilada

Can you please tell me what you keep you

*can't think of word* :wink:

(water parameters maybe?)

Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, KH, GH, Ammonia etc!

Just invested in a test kit for Mum, as she seem's to have a bit of trouble with discus :cry:

So we would like to know what our tank water should be testing at!

Thanks in advance!

Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia - all 0

pH at or below 7

kH/gH doesn't really matter unless you're breeding and it's not necessary to drastically adjust the general hardness or alkalinity when you first start to keep discus unless the values are very high.

Thanks Blue!

We lost a Red Melon last night, and have follwed all precautions you have given.

* daily (10%ish) water changes.

* Added Bacteria from you tank.

* PH was 6.5 ish

* Nitrite and Nitrate was 0

* Ammonia 0

No signs of any-thing, just discus last night started swimming *wobbly* then was dead this morning :cry: Mums heart broken.

Although, 2 Angels, Neons and Corys are doing fine!

I feed blood worms at least twice a week and it's never been an issue, but it's the ones that float away and are found a couple hours later behind decorations that can be a problem - and that goes for any food.

Wow, that's a lot of dead discus. The only other thing I can think of is creeping poisoning, which can be caused by many things including old copper pipes. That said it could still be bad food. How many times a day is she feeding them?

Once to Twice (I think)

Our other thing, is Dad siliconed some netting and these bouy type things to the back to give it a "under water" impression, could that be it?

It has a heater, a fluval filter, some driftwood, gravel, plants, a boat ornament, a cave that lights up.

2x angels

15 or some-thing neons

2x male guppys

4-5 corys

and thats about it!

do you know if the silicon was aquarium safe? It could be leeching into the water. Have any of the other fish died?

How newly introduced are the angels? I dont actully keep discus but I have heard that it is not good to keep them with discus as they are hardier and could be harbouring disease that could spread to the less hardy discus. I