i have a nearly empty 80cm long tank

Cookieskennels

I seen some one on tm selling cold water guppies but your goldfish might eat them im really not sure, Maybe some different types of gold fish like orandas or bubble eyes sorry not sure what they called , fantails you can get some pretty nice gold fish.

5 x goldfish at 20-30cm's which is how big they will grow is too big for your tank sorry to say also agreed with evil a tall tank is worse for stocking than a long tank as the surface area is smaller..

Yes the petshop or your friends may stick 3 goldfish in a tiny bowl but that is just cruel and here we try and do whats best for the fish and educate people :)

If you want lots of fish setup a pond or bathtub outside for your goldies and go tropical you can do a nice number of smaller fish in your tank..

Or you can do a coldwater indoor aquarium with Leopardfish, WCMMs, guppies, many kinds of danios (including celestial pearl danios), bristlenoses, American flag killiefish and probably a lot more types of killies as well.

Heaps of nice coldwater plants including Glosso which is a NZ native and a BEAUTIFUL plant highly sought over worldwide (google it).

With all this talk of overstocking with goldfish, how many of you actually have foot-long goldfish in your tanks? I've never seen one grow that big in a tank, and would say that even a 100L tank is plenty of space for a few small goldies - obviously you cross the new tank bridge when you come to it.

Do you all really make tank size decisions based on the adult size of your fish when adulthood is 5-20 years away?

Is it really realistic to devote > 400L to a single inch-long comet from the petshop on the assumption that it will reach 30cm in length over the next 20 years?

so 333ltrs is quite alot lol no wonder it took me awhile to fill lol.

so ruffly how many fish could i have in there, not going tropical just yet lol. maybe once i move to the farm and start working there,

Kim i cant find anyone selling any of those fish cheap and have to ring LFS tomorrow and ask.

With all this talk of overstocking with goldfish, how many of you actually have foot-long goldfish in your tanks? I've never seen one grow that big in a tank, and would say that even a 100L tank is plenty of space for a few small goldies - obviously you cross the new tank bridge when you come to it.

Yea sure, 5 small goldfish will live in a 100L tank when small, but if you just wait until they outgrow the tank, they will get stunted. People put large goldfish into ponds, thats why you dont see them much. also, in a tank they wouldnt grow that big, because of the whole stunting issue.....

Do you all really make tank size decisions based on the adult size of your fish when adulthood is 5-20 years away?

YES, you do. well, at least you should, but some people know better :roll:

You seem to not realy know exactly what you are talking about here, so best to not dig yourself into a hole

Kim i cant find anyone selling any of those fish cheap and have to ring LFS tomorrow and ask.

It's Blue, actually. Hutt Pet Centre in Lower Hutt sells many danios and other species for very low prices. WCMMs are $4 and danios are generally $3 each or 10 for $25. Prices vary with availablility and you should always visually inspect your fish for disease before purchasing, like anywhere else. That;s about as cheap as prices get for fish since someone has to breed and feed them somewhere.

So, evilkineivel, it is indeed your position that a single 1 inch goldfish in a 100L tank is overstocking? That anybody with 5 goldfish in a tank less than about 2000 litres is doing something wrong?

Because it seems to me thats absolutely absurd. Obviously when the fish grows larger its going to need a bigger tank, but why does that make the decision to house the fish in a smaller tank while it does not require the space wrong?

You accuse me of not knowing what i'm talking about, but i've quite successfully kept fish for years, goldfish and tropical - its only because i'm returning to the hobby after a long break that i'm posting in the beginners section.

If your tank is of sufficient size to maintain water quality, and have plenty of space for the fishes' dimensions and behaviour, whats the problem?

Hi Ike,

I think the clash with evil is just a misunderstanding. When dealing with tropical fish it's very common to see a person trying to raise a large fish (pacu, giant gourami, ornate birchir, arowana) in a small-ish tank and soon find the need to either part with the fish or jump through hoops trying to get a bigger aquarium. Very often these fish end up on the losing side due to inadequate preparation by the owner.

Goldfish are commonly kept in tiny tanks and soon outgrow them. The problem is the owners still seem to think that 3 or 4 adult comets are fine in a 2 foot tank even though they can hardly move. It's this mentality that we try and discourage on the forums and education for prevention is generally the mindset rather than "trashing the noob" ;)

Welcome to the forums and we look forward to you sharing your opinions!

Blue