Easter Native Fish Hunting Expedition!

Stella

Because I suspect a lot of people wouldn't regularly peruse the coldwater forum, I wish to draw your attention to the native fish hunting trip we are doing in the Manawatu/Horowhenua areas at Easter.

The Itinerary is thus:

FRIDAY 21st March

People descend on Palmerston North. Gathering at my place as you get here aiming for mid afternoon, look at my fish, meet, mingle and wait for others to arrive.

Go to the farm creek to see just how degraded a habitat can be but still have fish.

Do dinner together somehow, wait for it to get dark then go spotlighting up the Turitea stream.

Hopefully today, if we are lucky, we will see: redfins, uplands, commons, crays, inanga, eels.

SATURDAY 22nd March

A friend is hopefully going to drop a trap in a swampy part of the Lake Papaitonga forest to catch kokopu the pervious night...

We could either go to the lake first or go to the Ohau River, not sure yet. Check the trap at Papaitonga, possibly also try using a stop net on one of the swampy creeks if the trap hasn't got anything.

At Ohau we will use the whitebait net and hand nets, was very successful last time, this river is very alive!

Depending on timing etc we could find dinner on the way back or take some sort of picnic up to the Kahuterawa Stream. Wait for it to get dark then go spotlighting and hopefully catch a few interesting things.

Hopefully today we will see: torrentfish, inanga, smelt, redfins, uplands, eels, crays, giant/banded kokopu, and if we are very lucky we will see koaro and shortjaw kokopu!

SUNDAY 23rd March

People depart, having seen some wonderful sights, caught some interesting fish, learned a lot and generally become more rounded and wiser individuals

And you get the rest of the long weekend for other things.

MORE DETAILS HERE:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/1-vt28 ... sc&start=0

Please reply in that thread, would get confusing having two running concurrently.