Yay angels spawned

slevin12

If you want to raise some next time try the following:

Hang a piece of slate near the top of the tank.

When they spawn remove the eggs to a small tank, add an air stone and meth blue.

Don't feed until they are free swimming.

Feed brine shrimp nuplii in the small tank for first week.

Move to larger bare tank and feed the hell out of them and change the water every time you walk past.

When I was breeding angels blacks were the most expensive and sold the best.

If you breed black to black you will get at least 25% double blacks. These look the best, grow slower, are weaker and are more likely to die, so if you want to raise them it is best to raise "the runts" seperately.

If you do this the parents cannot eat the eggs. You can then keep a male double black and breed that to a gold female double veil tail and you will have all strong, good looking offspring with good fins and everyone will want one. Welcome to the world of angel breeding.

Hi All.

Yes alanmin you are correct. :lol:

However, I think that our guy has to get the fry hatched and reared before we start giving lessons on the genetics. :oops:

As you know it is a lengthy subject and fraught with many misunderstandings and other trivia that crops up. :wink:

Just keep trying: Watch the pair closely for the next few days as they may spawn again in a day or two.

I can get mine to spawn every 9 - 10 days when I remove the eggs.

The same applies if they are eaten. :roll:

Good luck.

:bow:

I used to use slates cut to about 100 x 100 with ss hooks and then hatch them in little tank 150 x 150. Feed them in there for a week then move them to a larger bare tank to raise them. If you hatch them in a small tank you can keep them surounded with food till they are big enough to go looking for it. They can swarm in a large tank at the opposite end to the food. But everyone has their own way that works for them.

Hi All.

I would suggest that you leave the eggs with the parents. They may turn out to be great and not eat the eggs or fry. :roll:

If you choose to you can remove the eggs and hatch them in an 18 x 9 x 9 inch tank with the slate on a 45 degree angle and the airstone an inch in front of the eggs with a gentle stream of bubbles rising in front of them.

There only needs to be enough water to cover the slate and this can be raised an inch a day after about a week on brine shrimp. :wink:

You're doing alright, keep it up.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...

hi all, Im kind of at a crossroads at the moment regarding my angels. They are golden marble (possibly veil tail) and a golden crown type koi. they have bred and I have successfully raised 20 young so far. However, their doesnt seem to be much interest surrounding them so I cant seem to get rid of them!!! Ive heard blacks are the most sort after so am thinking about possibly getting rid of the ones I have and getting a black pair. Im not breeding soley to make money, rather to be able to keep my tanks (4 in total plus one 30gallon spare) running without having to worry so much about power costs! Im just after some advice really. Thanks!!

Hi All,

You're right that the "BLACK'S" are the best to breed if you want to make money. :wink:

IMO if you can produce good Black Lace Veiltails then you are really into the dosh.

I've been trying for years to get good breeding stock, but it's almost like hens teeth.

I do have blacks and black Lace Veiltails but they take almost as much work in rearing them as my Albino Angels.

Good luck.

Well I managed to get a hold of 3 black marble (90% black coverage) veil tails today. Im also planning on getting at least another 2 black marble veils and maybe a black (possibly a leopard or zebra?) veil tale next week. What Im wondering is.. If I manage to find a breeding pair from these 6 mostly black veils is there a change I will get a full black? What happens if you breed veils with normal angels? (that could be a no no I dont know?) Thanks for the help guys, my golden marbles laid another 100 or so eggs today... lol, what am I going to do with them all!!!

Hi All

The short answer to your question is a great big "NO". :cry:

Genetics won't allow it to happen, and believe me anything written on "ANGELFISH GENETICS" will make very daunting reading to a newcomer.

Supose you "KNEW" what the parents of all these fish are; colourwise; and suppose you could trace their pedigree back a couple of generations then and maybe only then will you have a chance inside 1000 spawnings of getting a single pure black fish.

Every offspring of any cross of the MARBLE ANGELS you have mentioned will certainly have a split gene carrying the black you want.

But it is only a split gene and as such BLACK Angels are prone to melanoma, what we call cancer; which causes their fins to rot away or even body sections.

You will have a hard job rearing them as they are like "ALBINO'S" another fish with split and very weak recessive genes.

In spite of the above, get going and try as you have nothing to loose but will gain a lot of knowledge on breeding Angels and not to mention genetics.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Hey Amazonian, once again thank you for answering my never ending questions. I only really became interested in Angels the start of this year and the informtion (genetics, mutations, doubles and halves etc) is OVERWHELMING. But I am doing my research and am stubborn so wont give up!!! The angels I got today are so beautiful, especially the marble lace veil. I have one breeding tank and 2 rearing tanks set up at present, also a spare 30gallon in the garage which Im planning to set up again once I find another pair I want to breed. I will continue reading more and more and I guess I'll just see how I go with breeding the veils. But thanks for all the info!!