Home made filter system!

teazeb

Hi there, this is my 1st time on this forum and i am new to all of this. I am wanting to start breeding bettas and I am in the process of building a set of jars to separate the males in when the time comes. All the jars will be connected to a drain pipe (3mm airline) to allow for easy water changes.

Does anyone know where I can get the plastic "T" adapters for airline and also the plastic gang valves.

Many thanks!!

There are two easier ways I can think of, others may have more.

1 Keep one jar empty and have a bucket of clean water. Fill empty with clean water, tip one jar and fish into net, put fish in clean jar, clean jar and fill with clean water and repeat.

2 When I was breeding them I had tanks that were 600mm x 600mm. I made tanks that were slightly smaller with stainless steel mesh on the bottom and divided into compartments about 75mm square. put a male in each one and excess food drops out the bottom and can be siphoned off. To do a water change lift the internal tank 3/4 of the way up and drop again. I had glass straps that they rested on so the internal tanks were off the bottom.

Sometimes. Most people that breed them sell them when they are realy young and the trouble is just starting then wonder why they can't get a decent price for them. If you want realy good males you have to start with good genetics then seperate them but leave them where they can see each other and keep showing. This develops good finnage and prevents them from tearing each other up. They are called fighting fish for a reason. In my experience they will eventually start scrapping if you leave them long enough. The females will get beaten up as well and are better away from the males.