How much does it cost?

Fish_Tank

Hey guys, I'm just curious....on estimate, how much would it cost to set up a 3'x14x14 tank as a reef?

I also hear that of you set it up right, you don't need a filter?

so equipment reqired would be?

tank/stand/hood

Skimmer (brands? cost?

powerheads (how many? what size?)

Lights (what kind? how many watts? cost?)

Live rock (how much? cost?)

corals (estimated cost?)

sand (cost?)

fish/crustations?

thanks guys (just considering ATM ;) )

my 2 cents worth from what i've read...

3 foot (or yours @ 110 litres) is way too small and asking for big trouble if you are a beginner. i have a 4 foot tank (320 litre) and i would say its the minimum size you should use (and am also a 'beginner')

in regards to make/models, i dont know but i will say from costing things up myself (depending on if you go new or second hand) that for my 4 foot i originally budgeted about $3k and have since up'd that to $5k (and still think im probably about $1-2k short)

what are MUSTS is a decent skimmer. this is the one purchase that you should not cut corners on. hff sell them from around $700 to $1,600. my ones a deltec @ $1,600 (new) and after looking at how it performs, would not buy anything less. live rock (cant buy from retailers - have to 'cultivate your own' otherwise buy some already 'pre-established' at around $10 - $12 a kilo) corals from lfs are anywhere between $70 to $130 on average. you can buy frags cheaper from guys on this forum usually from $30 up.

all and all, do what i did not do - spend the next few weeks reading as much as possible on the maintainance and upkeep of this hobby. if you get it wrong, it can cost you a shitload.

Well, I started off about 4 years ago with a tank that size, and it was one of the biggest mistakes I made. It is just too small, making it difficult to maintain stable water parameters. This is extreemely important.

Absolute minimum would be a 4 footer. You can get one for around $160 new, so it's not a lot of money (relative to what's to come ;-) ).

Skimmer, you can't buy skimmers in ChCh, none of the shops stock anything useable. Queen, Berlin, and any Red Sea brand skimmers should be avoided at all costs. Auckland might be your only option to buy a real skimmer, unless you want to buy one online and pay sky high shipping. Budget around $600 + for a used skimmer.

Lighting, depends on what you want to keep coral wise. Personally I wouldn't go with anything other than Metal Halide, but if your not interested in keeping coral, then flouro will do. You could comprimise and go with T5's if you only want to keep LPS and soft corals. DIY halides around $500 (dual 250Watt).

"Live" rock, around $12/kg the stuff you buy in shops down here is actually dead (white coral rock). Around $720. This forms an integral part of your filtration system, so loosly speaking, the less rock, the less fish you can keep.

Sand $50

Sump, you really do need a sump. If you get a 4 footer, make sure it is drilled with LARGE overflows. You could uses your 3 footer as a sump. It helps keep unwanted equipment out of the tank, and out of sight.

Test kits - an important part of setting up a tank. You'll need Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Alkalinity to start with, then Magnesium and Calcium are necessary once corals are added. Use Salifert kits as these are made specifically for saltwater. Around $30 each.

So thats $2200 absolute MINIMUM before you've got any salt, fish, or corals. You could double that when fully stocked.

Layton

I agree with Layton 100%. I have never tried a small tank in saltwater but it would be very challenging. I know a guy (Barney) with a 3ft tank, and he is VERY good with his routine and testing, I don't think I could do it.

There are a few things you will need in addition to Laytons post:

* Something to measure Specific Gravity (reccomend refractometer $150ish)

* A source of filtered freshwater. Now I know christchurch has very good quality tap water, but its mineral water not filtered. You need some 'ro/di' or distilled water for freshwater top-off $??

* A heater $40+

* Timers $30ea+

* Pumps and/or powerheads for water circulation

SUMPS - I don't know anyone who went to the effort to setup a sump who regrets the decision. There are many examples of people who didn't setone up and then realised they needed one. Its 10x harder to set it up after the tank is wet. Do the sump from day one, you will not regret it.

Pie

lol guys, thanks for your help :) I don't have anywhere near that amount of money at the moment anyway (no job ;) )

so you guys recon a 4 footer is a minimum.......what about a large 3 foot (3'x18"x18")??

I'm prob to lazy to have a marine tank anyway :lol: It was a thought i had for a while though.....maybe i'll try brackish first :)

Great idea!! how about a cold water marine, local rockpools etc could be a good learning curve and at least if things look a bit seedy you can put them back!

I'm doing one of these when my tank becomes ready. Was going to do one in a 1500mm long tank, but though otherwise :D