How long do you let your Decap soak for?

Faran

I've been using decap - Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs - for a couple months now and I learned just through experience that filling a 1/2 teaspoon scoop with water and using it to pick up some decap lets it rehydrate and sink for fry (it was floating and getting wasted when fed direct) but today a friend recommended letting it soak for 20 minutes before feeding.

Went to the manufacturers site and it reads

Simply rehydrate the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for a few minutes in fresh water and feed directly to your fry or juveniles (This step is not necessary for adult fish.)
which I never learned before as I didn't get instructions with mine, just an unmarked plastic bag.

So I wanted to ask the other decap users how long they let it soak and how do you do it?

Another question, how do you store it? I've just been keeping it dry and cool but others recommend refrigeration... if it's technically dead what's the point?

Yup, happy to send over a sample for you to try out. PM me.

The oxidation process is exothermic and generates heat in excess of the lethal temperature of the embryo. The further dehydration of the egg to maintain its shelf life renders the egg non-viable.

While looking that up I also confirmed storing in a cool, dry place. This type anyways.

Best to store it in the fridge if its dry blue. If you decapsulate your own, it is no longer 'dry' and needs to be kept in a saturated salt solution, which can be kept wherever.

I just use normal BS eggs, and hatch them out as you usually would. I think its better to use live food than 'dead' food. I am wanting to decapsulate a small amount myself though, so i can use it when i need to (ie when the air pump on my bottle turns itself off (happens occasionally) or when i go away for 3 or 4 days and i cant put a bottle on before i leave, i can have something to feed them as soon as i get back, not having to wait another 24 hours for food. I have alot of hungry mouths to feed (killies + fry galore!) so i always have BBS hatching