whip tail cats

silver dollars

tetras

platys

guppys

plecs and bristle nose

kribs

also later on a couple of ciclid.

so my questen is for each speices what size tanks whould be ideal to beed in and bring up young.as i got all breeding pairs. as im think to set up a fish room.in the way of a chiller contaner or a old milk turck chiller.

how many tanks for each speices. cheers ant

You probably want to get a selection of different sized tanks. You will want small (20l) tanks to keep your livebearers seperated and only mate the ones you want, medium sized tanks (60l) for fish like kribensis and bristlenose, and some bigger tanks (100-200l) to grow out fry and for the bigger fish like Discus.

If you have a range of tanks then you can just mix and match the fish to suit.

Cheers

Ian

cheers for that guys :bow::bow:

so you are say 2foot to 3 foot tanks will be fine then, do you need them higher or wider better, :o:o

6 x five foot tanks should cover any others i may come across, :wink:

What kind of cichlid? Might need 10L to 1000L+ .....david r wrote

i whould like to give a go at red devils

fairy ciclid

earth eater

and may be something that no one hasnt breed yet

i whould like to give a go at red devils

You'll probably want to grow out a group of about 10 juveniles and pick the biggest/best coloured ones to breed from. I'd say you would want something around 4'x18"x18" for a breeding tank, and have a spare tank set up in case you need to separate them as males can be pretty hard on females around breeding time, especially in a smaller tank where she doesn't have space to get out of his territory.

Just a little side-track on the topic of breeding, make sure you carefully select the fish you are going to breed, not just that they are healthy and free of defects, but look at their colour, size, etc. In nature Darwin weeds out the weak and inferior and we need to make sure we do the same when breeding in captivity.

Only problem is we breed week and good looking, Mrs Nature likes strong and not fancy so as to easily hide.

Not necessarily, otherwise all fish would be plain brown and grey. There's plenty of brightly coloured fish in nature for various reasons. Breeding for good colour is fine, as long as you're breeding for SOMETHING rather than just picking any two random fish from the shop (as most people tend to do with convicts...).

Hi All

Good for those that have forty or so years to enjoy their hobby.

Pity about those who are nearing the "accredited" three score and ten though.

But that said, it is no excuse whatever age you are to justify breeding "CRAP" Fish. :evil:

I have seen so many Zebra Danios in the shops that are "BENT" through inbreeding that the thought of making "Zebra Danio Patties" flashes through my mind. :roll:

I dont know what they would taste like but they sure as hell don't look any good in shop sales tanks. :wink:

Every hobbyist has an eye for a fish and to breed and sell rubbish does the hobbyist no credit whatsoever. :evil:

There are enough Joe Bloggs out there breeding and selling "CRAP" without genuine or serious hobbyists following suit.

:bow:

what are you tailking about as i have no crap fish. :evil: as the one that have defeormities become feeders for my larger fish or the cat to play with :lol: im not into interbreeding as i add other fish from other places to stop that.so my strains of fish aint shagging there bro.so i can keep the quality up and no mongrels...........become food,,,,,,,so there. :evil: :evil:

i see it all the time in pet store they have defeorm fish in there tanks that should of be destroyed before they get to the stores that my opinion,

this why im asking about breed tanks so i have anuff room for them so they do have defomed fish. or problems with them.i have set my self a goal to set up the best fishroom i can.so in two years time my fish will be perfect,,,,,,thats what i aim for they may not be for sale but i will be happy with my results. 8)

Hi All

Sorry if you think I was referring to YOU having "Crap Fish", I wasn't. :oops:

It was a generalisation of breeding and it does happen, even though we all wish it wouldn't.

The only thing tank size has to do with breeding is at the point of growing on.

A good thing to remember is " DON'T EXPECT A BALLERINA TO GIVE HER BEST PERFORMANCE ON THE SMALLEST STAGE IN TOWN". :roll:

If the fish dont have enough space they get "STUNTED" but that does not mean "BENT BACKBONES", WHICH IS CAUSED BY TOO MUCH INBREEDING AND NOT INTRODUCING NEW BLOODLINES.

But I DONT MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD USE a three foot tank to breed a pair of fighters when a one foot tank is sufficient.

Hi

From the list you have given, I will answer as to what size tanks "I" use to breed.

Blue Gourami's 60 x 30 x 30

Whiptail cats 60 x 30 x 30

Kribs 45 x 30 x 30

Tetra's 60 x 25 x 15

Platy's 60 x 25 x 17.5

Guppy's 60 x 25 x 17.5

Bristlenose 45 x 25 x 25

I dont personally know about the Silver dollars but I assume a 3 foot tank would be appropriate.

Good luck.