Female betta spawn times

vavoli

I decided to do a 'test' spawn on my latest pair of betta's earlier this week, Monday night to be precise, continuing over to Tuesday morning.

Wasn't planning on raising the fry, just wanted to see if the two were compatible and how they did etc, needless to say, they're near perfect parents and I really couldn't ask for better. A good 300+ eggs.

So they finished spawning, from what i had gathered. So I took her out and thought that was it.

2 days later however, her egg tube is still showing, and on the 3rd day after the original spawn, her tummy is starting to look full again...

I waited until today (Saturday) and put them back in together to see what would happen.

Several hours later, she's back in on the action and another 300+ eggs afterwards, she's finally finished.

From what thought, there was a good 2 week+ waiting time for the female to spawn again...?

Does this happen often? Any explanation for it?

I thought she may have just not finished... but who knows. Either way she's dropped a whole heap of eggs this week :o

Will try post some pics tomorrow hopefully, if there's any good ones :-?

Fighters can spawn every three days - great if you've got dozens and dozens of tanks and plenty of time. Its best to wait about 11 days between the spawns or you will exhaust the parents especially the male who does the egg sitting duties at night.

Are you going to raise these?