Advice needed, Redhead Cichlid (Vieja synspila)

Mrs Frog

I've had my pair living happily together now for about 3mths, both fish are approx 20mths old, anyway they have always been close...until lately, he has been a bit of a bully but nothing too major, went out today, came home and he had nearly beaten her to death :o , I quickly moved her out. He has given her a real hammering....but why would he do this to her now after months of placid living?? Can I put them back together at any point of time??

Cichlids aye who would keep them :) This happens from time to time with them, hope she will recover fine, as for reintroducing them wait until she is recovered and intoduce the male into the females tank so he's coming into her space and she's settled before him. Heaps of hiding places and im sure they will be fine.

Sorry to hear about that, is there any chance you can find another one? It sucks loosing fish it sucks even more when you cant find another one to keep them going..

I have never seen these fish anywhere :(, it does suck big time because I would like to try him with another mate, he seems really lonely and 'slow' now, :-? I'm also in an area where its very hard to get good tropical fish let alone cichlids...let alone the redheads!

:-? oh he is a really big fish, possibly 25-30cm. He is very friendly with me, I can hand feed him and he 'relates' to me rather well, he is more like a pet. Obviously there was not enough room for both and he made sure one of them had to go....geez what an awful way to learn lol.

Bring on the bigger tank huh!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mrs Frog I think your male probably wasnt ready to mate have found that with my original breeding pair when he wasnt in the mood he would harass the female even to the point of eating the eggs the female had just laid. Sorry to hear of your loss . I lost my old female too but he has a new mate younger and they have just bred so i have lots of eggs as of yesterday and when I got home tonight I found that they had all hatched so will keep an eye out for them I have renmoved the parents and keep them in their own tank just to be safe if you are keen in a couple months if the fry do well I could send you a few to grow out.. let me know.. I also have a juvenile male that I need to get rid of I had him on trademe but he got beat up so have to take him off to get him looking better etc... and try again...