Prognosis for my Hammer coral??

Sapphire

well the poor coral is not looking too good - it's trying to extend a few polyps but there is very little healthy tissue on the outside of the skeleton. It only really has live polyps inside that are essentially retracted. We've cut off as much as possible that's dead. Couldn't cut into good live bits as there really isn't a totally healthy section...

I really am 99.9% sure it's history but can't quite bring myself to get rid of it.... quite yet anyway - I don't want to risk anything else

Here it is as of a couple of minutes ago... :cry::cry::cry:

http://picasaweb.google.com/EmmaVHamilt ... 3517125138

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freshwater dip will kill it off faster, its basically too late, only way to save some is to cut off most of it and see if you can save something. if it gets worse throw it out as it can effect other euphyllia coral if you have any.

I have seen this so many times in euphyllia, once they go you have little chance of saving it. Its a real problem when importing them hence the high price as it is a major risk coral. However once established they do very well.

Most salt is designed to use with ro water

thats not really true. only lately have some manufactures been making salt mixes that are to be used with RODI. sure you can use any saltmix with any water but you might end up with short falls in some parameters, like calcium. thats one reason that you can buy salt mixes now where you would have to add some stuff seperate before adding the water to your tank (like calcium).

lately have some manufactures been making salt mixes that are to be used with RODI.

Not sure about that, i have always read on the boxes that it says use ro/di.

If you use tap water then you are adding more trace elements which are already in the salt,

Could be that some salts are low in trace elements etc as they allow for the extra to come from tap water.

Salifert test kit, but may not be entirely accurate. Either way it showed a slight tinge of blue where as my RODI water was clear.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the tap water in an emergancy as I've used it up until recently with no visible ill-effects, but until that time, i'll be using RODI

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately it went to the big reef in the sky - I did cut away as much damaged tissue as possible and bathed in iodine solution but it was too late - too far gone I think.

I have learned my lesson re alkalinity and found this article really helpful:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I also have replaced the hammer with a torch which is doing well.