Prognosis for my Hammer coral??

Sapphire

Today I saw half of the coral was shrunk up (as I thought) however on closer inspection it has been significantly damaged. The tissue has just been ripped off......

See here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/EmmaVHami ... phireSTank

What kind of recovery can I expect? Is there anything I can do to help it along??

PS Yes I know about the algae - working on it (it's about the last rock with any now).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully that works..... have added link in above post :oops:

I think it's the brittle star again but I have been feeding it so I wouldn't have thought it would be that hungry!!

I do also have a flame angel but I've never seen it go for any coral and wouldn't have thought it could inflict that much damage...

Hard to tell, could be brown jelly disease.

make sure it is getting good flow.,

i doubt the brittle star will do anything to corals.

Tank looks like it has lots of nutrients as i can see lots of algae.

did you check the water conditions?

what are the readings?

ca

kh

po4

nitrate.

Readings at last test (Sunday)

Ca 500ppm (I'm not adding any other than what's in the coral salt)

Ph 8.2

Alk around 2.8 meq/L (using Red Sea test kit for this which isn't that accurate) I've also been adding SeaChem Reef Builder to increase alkalinity as it was low.

PO4 measured 0.03 on Salifert test

Nitrate 5-10 ppm (in between colours on test)

I wouldn't have thought the the brittle star would do this, it's just that I did see it take out a small xenia soon after I got it and I haven't seen this damage seems to have suddenly appeared

So if it is a disease what is my best course of action?

In terms of the algae I have been reducing feeding and added phosphate removers (purigen) to help. I did have cyano which is now gone but it seems on the rock that hammer is on there was algae underneath....

Kinda hard to tell from the photo, but I'm fairly certain most euphyllias have a good regeneration rate. My torch coral when I first got it received a bit of a hiding during transit and quite a few of the tenticles "blew out" and it stayed quite shrunk up for a few days, but it came right within that first week.

Just keep an eye on it and report any changes in this topic :)

Well I've been doing some reading on brown jelly disease - I really hope it isn't that. However I haven't seen the brown substances that have been described - the tissue does look like it's been scraped off. I'll see if I can take some better photos tomorrow.

i have a pink octospawn coral that had a damaged head during transport, a lot of the tissue was sorte of ripped out. i started freaking out that maybe the damage might cause brown jelly disease etc, but it was fine, i just let it be, the head didn't regrow tissue but didn't harm the coral at all so i'd just leave it and make sure the water quality is good

What everyone else said, plus I'm pretty sure the coral is getting more light than it is comfortable with. You can tell this by the way the tentacles are held in fairly tight and buching up using the outer coloured part to shade the rest of the coral.

i think you should move it to a more shaded area, these corals can do well in quite low light. If it spreads out more this will tell you it is a better level of light. It MIGHT have some infection (not sure though), so to help with this you need modest flow, but not much. Hammers only like a very small amount of flow, but just give it enough to keep it clean if there is any infection.

If you know anyone who uses Zeovit products, see if you can pinch from them a few mls of a Zeovit product called AALPS. Dosing this can do wonders for euphylias that are doing poorly.

Also, water chemistry, although this will not be the main issue, it would be good if you could allow your calcium level to fall to around 400, and raise the alkalinity a tad. But no rush, this will not be the major problem for the torch.

Ok thanks everyone for your advice...

Wasp - how do I get the calcium to fall - I've been doing weekly water changes of just over 10% and the only calcium that's added is in the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt that I use.

I am still working on the alk - I'm adding Sea Chem Reef Builder - the 2.78 meq/ Lreading is worst case as the test just has a shaded graduation with the strip divided into three bands - one is low - 0-1.76, medium 1.77 to 2.8 and high 2.8 -3.6meq/L . I'm aiming to up to well into the high range and will invest in a better test.

Thanks again!

As mentioned looking at the phot it is hard to tell.

However the tank does look like it has lots of nusinse algae which are a result of the tank not having good water quality.

I was reading my favourite magazines and read this:

The skeleton of euphyllia are often riddled with boring algae.

If the water has a high nutrient load, these algae grow faster then the Euphyllia which often results in the death of the coral.

It’s hard to tell from the photo but their is a real possibility as it could be boring algae,

At this stage i would not make drastic changes but would look at improving the water quality so that the nusinse algae goes.

Are you using tap water of ro/di??

What do you feed the fish?

Can you put a full tank pic up?

What is your filtration?

How do you measure you salinity.

Sorry for all the questions, :D

I am just using tap water a the moment - I am aware I really would be much better using RO water (on my list)

I am still measuring SG with a hydrometer, but will be taking some water to John to get it checked using a refractometer (also another thing on my list to buy!). Consistently measures 1.025.

The fish are fed the red sea food that came with the tank and also get some brine shrimp when I feed the sun corals. I am defrosting the shrimp and discarding the liquid before feeding polyp by polyp with a syringe. I am as accurate as I can be with feeding and certainly try to avoid waste but I know having the sun corals isn't helping at the moment

The filtration is pretty much what came with the tank, but I have removed the mechanical filtration and added small pieces of cured rock to the ceramic media. I also have charcoal/phosguard and purigen. We have drilled small holes as per other recommendations into the skimmer collection cup lid and clean the collection cup daily.

I have also started adding Biodigest - have added two ampules so far.

Also the test results are always taken just before I do my water change so should be worst case scenario.

I don't have a current tank shot but will try and get one today....

In the meantime I think I's be best move the hammer off that area as it is the worst for algae.

Thank you!

Here's a link to the full tank. Sorry about the glare etc on the photos - there're lots of windows and only vertical blinds. I might be able to get a better shot at night (no promises I'm still learning how to use the camera!). As you can see still very much a work in progress...

http://picasaweb.google.com/EmmaVHamilt ... 1930056178

http://picasaweb.google.com/EmmaVHamilt ... 0519990786

How long did it take you to glue all the rocks together? And did u do that all before it went into the tank or intank piece by piece? It looks awesome!

Thanks! To be honest I'm feeling a bit disheartened with the whole thing a the moment

Not all of it is secured but the parts that were at risk of moving were secured with aqua knead it - not my favourite job!! I had a trial run with the rock at Johns in his rsm when it was empty and added a couple of extra bits after. It was put together piece by piece once the water was in - took a while and a bit of swearing!!

Nice tank.

The algae does not look that bad.

The trachphyllia looks a bit light in colour, do you dose iodine or iron./

It is something these corals need.

It is brighter in real life but no am not dosing either of those - I will certainly look into it though as I'd like to have it as bright as possible - thanks for the suggestion! Is there anything specific you'd recommend?

Thanks! To be honest I'm feeling a bit disheartened with the whole thing a the moment

I feel that way every now and again with mine, and then bugger round with the rockwork and its never as good as it was before. I've learnt just to leave it alone now. That feeling will go away :)