Alternatives to Blue Circle whitespot cure.

David R

I'm currently treating both of my tanks for whitespot. In the 4' I noticed a few spots on a couple of the big loaches and they were scratching on the gravel, and in the 3' the uarus also had a light dose of it. I've been using the Blue Circle stuff, but would like to hit it with something else (obviously not at the same time) just to make sure its all gone. It needs to be safe to use with clown loaches.

I've been dosing daily along with a 20% water change and a little salt, how long should I keep this up to make sure its completely gone?

The instructions say that one dose is usually enough too.... :roll:

I asked the guy at HFF and he said they dose daily, and I noticed the bottles have all had the word "total" crossed out so it says 'Do not administer more than three consecutive doses, unless a waterchange is effected between the third and fourth dose.'

Oscarboy salt can be used with loaches, but I'm not that keen on adding too much. You can cure whitespot with high temperature and salt.

My weapon of choice is PP.

Peripheral Port? :-?

I thought of turning the heater up, but it was already at 27C this afternoon, and I did a 30% change, filled it up straight from the hose and it dropped to 26C.

Its pretty heavily stocked too, and I don't want to decrease the oxygen in the water by making it warmer.

Pottasium Permanganate.

Sudden change of temperature is usually the cause of white spot outbreak.

Thats what the guy at HFF suggested too, but I've been keeping CL's for 6 years, doing 30-50% water changes straight from the hose, even in winter, and the three times I have had whitespot have all been in mid-summer when the temperature difference is at its least. Still, I'm going to try to figure a way to heat ~120L of water and get it into the tank without using buckets...

I've never heard of PP before, can you tell me a bit more about it?

My torrentfish currently have whitespot (ich)

I am using salt. Apparently the dose to cure ich is:

0.3% solution = 3 grams per litre = 1/2 teaspoon per litre.

Be pleased you have tropicals. In coldwater the lifecycle is slowed down. I have over a month of treating to do to be sure it is gone!