My gold fish kept dying

I-LOVE-FISH

hiya you might already know me since i have written many blogs on this site.i just wanted to know last year i owned 2 goldfish.i fed them the right amount every day,i had one of those dissolving shells for oxygen.i got new oxygen weed every week or so that i placed a few strands carefully into the tank but every few months my gold fish would die.usually only one then id go get anopther one from the pet shop.i never managed to save any of them so i am now examining other options but if any one has any ideas of what could of happend then please let me know!

p.s one time when my 1 fish was sick the pet shop gave me some salt in a bag to put in the tank,forgot why but it didint work. also i have a small round tank that i kept the fish in.any ideas very welcome,thanks again!!! :D

Goldfish are generally a hardy fish.

How small was the "round" tank and was it a tank or a bowl?

Did you have a filter?

Did you do water changes?

Never heard of "dissolving shells for oxygen", what is that?

Were the 2 goldies the only fish in the tank/bowl?

Caper

it is just a little white thing that sits at the bottom and dissolves and little bubbles rise to the surface because it is dissolving.it was a small round tank.do you mean an eating bowl because it was about 16 cm high and 60 width with about 2 cm of pebbles.i had a pirate ship ornament and no filter yet had oxygen weed.yes i only had 2 gold fish at a time except when i started of i had 3 but gave them away.any more ideas??? :-?

You don't need to take the fish out when doing water changes. The only time I've taken fish out of the tanks if the tanks were being moved, or the fish themselves.

I know in some cases people have had to do a major cleaning and had to move fish to temporary homes. But for regular water changes, you do not have to take fish out.

Tanks need to go through the cycle process, google or search here to get the details on that (sorry I know I've read other posts of yours but can't think of hand what you have).

Goldfish need to have a filtered tank as well, to well obviously filter the water and to house the "good" bacteria that is needed to help maintain a healthy tank.

Okay other wise fishy people what else do we need to help her!

Caper

I'm really really terrible with the metric system :oops: :oops: (never liked it!) so I'm not sure the size of your tank. But goldfish as they grow do need big tanks.

Anyway, so you need a filter, good idea to get test kit. If the tank is too small and they are producing a lot of waste, the test kit will help you to gauge the need for water changes.

You wouldn't need a heater probably but do you have a thermometer? From what I've seen here, your summers can get reallly hot. If the tank is too small, it will heat much faster.

Hmmm...what else people?

Caper

i have a tank not a bowl.

Sorry.. a small round container with no filter is a bowl - and is really just a slow way of killing your fish. I make it about 40 litres :-?

I'm not trying to have a go at you, but you did ask why your fish are dieing :(

If you get some form of powered filtration in there you can probably keep the goldfish healthy over the short term, but goldfish grow BIG and are messy fish. They will outgrow the tank fairly quickly still.

If you actually want to keep goldfish alive get yourself a decent sized tank (200l) or so with a good power filter. They should be able to live in that for years. It's very seldom that you need to strip down and empty a tank. Just get a gravel vac and syphon out the crud from the bottom along with 20-50% of the water. Then top up with fresh water. Dont mess with plants unless you have enough lighting for them to grow, if the aren't growing then they are dieing and polluting the water more. Oh, and ditch the dissolving air-stone things, pretty much useless. Even a simple airpump and bubbler is more use.

Sorry for being harsh - but you cant keep goldfish alive the way you have been trying to.

Cheers

Ian

I'm really really terrible with the metric system (never liked it!) so I'm not sure the size of your tank. But goldfish as they grow do need big tanks.

40 litres is about 10 gal - pretty small for goldfish, even is it was filtered.