Sand?

David R

Does anyone here have any of their freshwater tanks set up with sand instead of gravel? I've been looking at some photo's online and I'd really like to set up my next cichlid with sand instead of gravel. All the americans suggest using pool filter sand, would it be the same stuff here?

you really need to use a course sand or a really fine gravel like 1mm crushed granite and i think that all poolfilter sand is the same everywhere posibly a different material but should all be the same size

if it is intended for a cichlid tank id go for coral crush and granite mix cos the coral is a great buffer to keep your ph above 7 ive been using it for years and swear by it

finer gravel is also goos cos food cant get into it and it holds less gas pockets but if your going to use sand makesure you clean it really well and let it settle fully b4 you use any mechanical filters as the sand particles get into the impeller and rip the shit out of it

I should have said CA cichlid tank. :oops:

I'm not too keen on using beach sand because of the bits of shell etc, I've used gravel off a beach in a tank before and it was really good at buffereing the water, shame I was keeping SA fish :x

I'll go accross the road and have a look for pool filter sand. Caryl what kind of cichlids do you keep? Do you have any problems with their digging stiring up the sand?

What type of filtration are you using? If you are using anything with an impellor that the sand could get into (e.g. canister, hang on the back... etc.) I wouldn't trust CA cichlids not to spit sand up the intake tube. As soon as you get sand in your impellor, the filters never going to be the same again. CA cichlids do a lot of digging (much more than Africans - which you normally see inhabiting tanks with sand) and it would only be a matter of time before this happened. Unless you could put some kind of prefilter over the intake, then it might be ok, however these tend to block quite quickly.

Sand is not usually recommended for CA Cichlids they tend to dig alot and it does serious harm to their digestion system and as others mentioned it plays havoc with with your filtering system . It also clouds the tank every time they stir up the substrate and CA cichlids have large droppings of waste that is a real eye sore on sand.

Hope this helps towards your decision! :wink:

Ah well, as nice as it looks then I think I'll give the sand a miss. Maybe just get really fine gravel instead. The only good thing about the sand was that it was going to be cheap. Anyone got any contacts for cheap gravel? :lol:

Not sure where it is David, but you have an excellent gravel supply in Hamilton.

Can't think of their name but I'm sure Rob could put you on the right track.

They dredge it from the main sewer line that runs thru your city and then screen it to different sizes.

Alan

There are always cheap options for gravel! never go to your LFS they'll rob you blind. I have just got myself some gravel for my new 5' tank from a shingle quarry, and at $25 a tonne it was a steal. So have a hunt around and find something to your liking as long as it's not limestone or fill of crushed shell it should be fine. Just make sure you clean it thouroughly.