filter carbon

Smax

hi everyone. is it essential to have carbon in one of the trays of my fluval? i read that it takes away the nutrients essential for plant growth. what i was thinking was replacing the carbon with peat or would that be a silly idea? any thoughts?

Personally I say get rid of it, though as always opinion here is split, it always will be in any open discussion forum. In my experience and from anecdotal evidence only, carbon can cause more problems than it solves if left in a filter over a long period. Its only real use is when your are medicating a tank, then it works as a good scrubber to remove the left over medications. Not entirely useless, but not as useful as those that manufacture and sell it would like you to believe.

well im going to be the oddball and say that i love carbon, it clears the water really well, maybe it my imagination, but never heard anything before but praise for activated carbon..

it is good for absorbing things from the water, meds etc that you want to remove. however, eventually it "gets full" & releases most of whatever it has absorbed over a long period of time quickly which could cause a swing in water parameters. like anything, it has its uses :)