Starting out,what size tank to get sort of fish,

evilmullet

hello all,

i want to start a saltwater fish only system,i have a 80L tank,with 11KG of live rock,its all ready for fish,just want to no what kinds of fish will live in a tank that size,

will a baby blue tang be allright?and i was thinking a clown fish and maby a firefish.

would thoes 3 fish be allright?

thanks,

yer i have read that,i have had the tank running for 5 weeks with no fish had tests done and pet shop said it is allready to have fish, i have a friend who has a blue tang an yellow tang and two clown fish in a tank of 120L and had them for 3 years so i thought i might be able to have one tang if i got it when it was a baby?

• 2 weeks later...
small yellow tang might be ok, but not a blue tang. you could try a small black tang as they stay small, only problem is the cost. over $600. :D

Why do you say a yellow and not a blue? I trust your opinion, but just wondered why since I had always been told the opposite

I haven't really seen any small yellow tangs for sale (the smallest being about 7cm nose to tail), but some of those blue tangs which have been coming in have been about 3 cm long.... I wouldn't even put a 7cm tang in a 2ft tank, even if that was its fully grown size as they need alot of space to swim being pelagic, column feeding fish...

Why do you say a yellow and not a blue? I trust your opinion, but just wondered why since I had always been told the opposite

Blue tang grow big, yellow tangs dont tend to grow much in small tanks.

I would love to have 10 blue tangs in my tank and for the above reason i dont have any as i have seen how quick they grow.

There has been plenty of small yellow tangs around and it is just a matter of timing when they come in the country.

7cm tang is fine for a 2 foot tank.

A useful site to look at is the liveaquaria site as it has recommended tank sizes and requirements.

Since the debate was raised, why blue and yellow tangs?

Maybe you could look at a yellow eye kole tang or a yellow surgeonfish (mimic tang) as they do not need as large a tank (OK, I'm a little biased as thats what I have).

If you are keen to have tangs in that small tank you may be able to do that if you get them small and then sell them after twelve months.

Heck, maybe you could do a deal with the LFS to exchange for a smaller tang of the same type as required.