Interested in Killies :)

je_suis_ketan

Hey all,

I was just gaining some interest in Killies and wanted to know a few questions.

I have been doing some selling of my fish before planning on moving out of town and want to do a different kind of setup.

Currently I have a 200L tank.

Wanted to know what tank mates are suitable for Killies? Are they a good community fish? In particular Clown Loaches and Bettas or Angel fish depending on which I end up choosing.

How hardy are they?

What sort of temperaments do they have? (Also are they fin nippers?) Do people keep them with Bettas? Are they a good community fish?

Do these questions vary greatly with species of Killies?

If I was to get a smaller tank and try to breed them, how difficult is it?

Any other important info that I should be aware about regarding Killies?

Sorry if these questions sound like they get repeated but I find it hard to get straight answers to them.

Thanks

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Killies do best on their own but can go with some other fish. I keep males and females seperated because I find they breed better. I keep males with sae, cories and clown loaches, and females with sae and guppies. They can be fin nippers and do best on live food. I keep mainly plants and they and the killies do well at 22-23 deg. They generally don't like strong light but do well in a strongly lit tank with lots of plants. I keep them in Christchurch tap water which is slightly alkaline and about 45 ppm hardness. I breed them in rainwater with boiled peat added but put them in tap water from a few days old. If you don't have many tanks you would be best to stick to one species. Join the killie club and you will get all the help you need.