Weird behaviour towards each other...

Mrs Frog

My two RedHead cichlids, male and female, are really great together but for the past two days the male is being a real buggar to the female...he won't let her near 'their' cave, she hangs around outside it and he will nudge her away but then they will approach each other and it looks like they are kissing with their mouths...then he pushes her away again. I'm worried that he is going to get too nasty and hurt her...these are big fish. Any ideas on why he has turned her away?? Thanks.

you only got these fish not long ago,,,,,,,,it sound like he is trying to get a territory and they are recourting as they are in a new tank and surrounding.....

cichlid will lock mouths togeter as they courting to show the female weather he is worthy of her eggs...

i hope they settle down for you......

Sometimes even formed successful pairs can get nasty when they are setting up their own personal territories, hopefully your tank is big enough for them to make their own spaces and also for the girl to hide if it does get nasty until they sort themselves out.. Id say they would be working together if they had eggs in there, if they were smaller fish you could add something fast and robust for them to focus their aggression on but its probably not a good idea in this case.

Some people don't move fish once they have started breeding I have a pair of jullies that I am worried about moving because they are known for the female to get stoppy and kill the male if they're moved..

Good luck and I would probably recommend you cut up a divider or get a spare tank ready for the female just in case it does turn nasty.