Panduro's have fry :)

Billaney

After buying male after male panduro that turned out to be females I finally got a pair, :)

Today i've noticed young fry with the mother and was wondering if i should take the male out of the tank , there is a spare tank right next door would that be a good idea ? From what i've read the females are good parents so i'd be correct in leaving her in with them ?

thanks for any help :)

Awesome Paul congrats on the babies :) I remember talking to Glenn and Karen ages ago and they were saying you kept buying females glad to hear its finally worked out..

Most male apisto's don't care for their babies they usually only defend the territory and the female can even get agro with him so theres no advantage to leaving him in if they're in their own tank and theres nothing for him to defend against.

Well done paul, I would just leave them be, but keep an eye on them. some times the one of the parents will get protective of the brood, and start to fight, if this gets bad, separate them. But the norm is they will both bring the up together, the female might start eating fry if you disturb them. If you are to separate them, id keep the male out of sight.

HTH

P.S

Another thing we have done successfully is once the fry become free swimming, put a young bn in there so the parents have something to take there agro out on. If there is a dither in there tank or in a tank next to them (you know how my tanks are) they are more likely to work together.

I always remove other appisto males (haven't bred Pandoro though) as it seems to create less stress and the female is much more relaxed and less incline to eat her young. Also feed her up well on live food (tubifex) with the theory being she won't look at her fry as stir fry! :wink:

Hey Paul,

Congrats, were these the pair I sold you? If so that's awesome and glad they've been happy enough to breed as they didn't for me!lol

Sarah

Hi sarah

Yes i think that was the pair I got from you :) I also got a 2nd pair from another friend and to be honest i'm not 100% sure which pair went into which tank but I'm pretty sure the 2nd pair have eggs also :)