Guppy problems

IOU1

Hi guys,

I recently bought 16 guppies of Phil, although they are all still alive, two of them have some sort of disease/problem. I don't really know much about diseases so could someone please suggest what it could be and how it can be cured, as the guppy strains are low in number and we can't afford any to die.

One of the guppies sits at the bottom of the tank, more to one side, doesn't eat and has protuding scales (sort of like a pinecone body), the others in the tank seem to be alright and the water quality is pretty good, mature water etc.

The second guppy in another tank gets picked on by the other female guppies, eats OK but swims vertically down most of the time and looks to have inflammed gills, and is really skinny. Again all the others in this tank are OK and really active.

Please help :( :oops:

Hopefully I haven't picked this up to late.

First one could be dropsy, either way it probably wont make it if its got to the scales sticking out stage, about all you can do for him is isolate him (I would do that anyway so nothing else gets what its got) adding epson salt will help with the fluid retention (causes the swelling). If its not dropsy its some sort of other internal problem I haven't had any luck once they've swelled up hopefully someone else can help with this.

And the one thats getting picked on I would also isolate that one and see if it picks up..

I hope you didn't pay too much for them and manage to get them healthy and breeding :)

I assumed he had already discounted the water :) hopefully he has already done his tests etc..

Hopefully, but you never know - sometimes things get a little out of whack for no apparent reason. Perhaps the water is too soft? I'm no guppy expert, but I understand they need a bit of hardness.

Thanks guys for the help. Yeah the water quality was spot on and nothing appeared different in the tests. Unfortunately one of the two fish didn't make it, but the other one that can't swim properly is isolated in a floating container and seems to be improving :D

Maybe it was some sort of weakness in the fish due to massive inbreeding or something making them suspectible to anything or having lower tolerance to change :-? I know others who have purchased these fish have also been having problems, hopefully we can breed them strong and healthy with healthy fry in return 8) What i'm trying to do is provide them with no real special care and gradually alter introduce them to standard water so that they can become more hardy and to favour the more tolerant individuals to reproduce and carry on more favourable alleles to future geneartions off offspring. It looks as though 14 of the 16 are adapting well to this change :P

Enough waffle :oops: :roll: , thanks again for the help :D