Bully mollie?

tinytawnykitten

My understanding is that only Platies and Swordtails can interbreed. I have certainly seen my livebearer males TRY to breed with anything that moves, so its possible that your guy is trying to mate with your gouramis?? I think getting a girl molly might solve the problem, although two girls would be a better ratio.

My understanding is that only Platies and Swordtails can interbreed. I have certainly seen my livebearer males TRY to breed with anything that moves, so its possible that your guy is trying to mate with your gouramis?? I think getting a girl molly might solve the problem, although two girls would be a better ratio.

Hmm perhaps that is it! He doesn't seem to be trying to bite the gouramis, just seems to sidle up next to them and try to snuggle. Does that sound likely? Yes he is my only molly, he was so lovely I had to have him. Jet black with a little blue and orange on his tail.

my understanding of genetics is that they can only crossbreed if they have the same number of chromasomes and are a similiar genetically. definition of a species is when a population can only breed within itself to form viable offspring.

are the platty/ swordtail offspring viable or sterile like jackasses? (cross tween horse and donkey)

• 3 weeks later...

ok so I have bought him two females, and moved the gouramis to another tank but this morning he has been focussing on two platys in the tank. Both the platys look really fat in fact, one more than the other, but with swollen bellies and the molly is constantly at their anal fin, like he is waiting for something to come out for him to gobble down. I have moved the fatter platy into one of those little isolation nets. What is going on here do you think?

A fish can have pinkish poo depending on its diet.

She will drop fry every 4 - 6 weeks. When almost due she will be very fat and you may be able to see fry eyes as black dots through the belly. Add some floating plant to the net you have her in as she will eat her own fry as well. Feed them crushed flake.