Discus Trouble

chrisa

A Discus I've had for about 2 weeks seems to be having trouble staying down in the tank. when it swims it points its head down and uses it fins and tail to swim frantically rather than glide. it stays mostly at the top of the tank.This appears to have happened over night as it was fine yesterday. I've been feeding them ox heart 2 x daily to put a bit of weight on the smaller one that I got when I bought that one and it has been a bit of a pig as its the biggest in the group. Could it be bloat how can I fix it if it is? Colour is good. Should I feed today?

I went out to get some bloodworms and gave some to him he didn't seem particurlaly interested but did eat some. 2 Hrs later he does look heaps better already swimming almost normally. i didn't give a lot though.

But for future reference if epsom salt works as well, how much epsom salt per litre? I have a 200 litre tank.

so to give discus some condition. What do you feed and how often? As I thought ox heart was good for growing and making them nice and healthy.

I went out to get some bloodworms and gave some to him he didn't seem particurlaly interested but did eat some. 2 Hrs later he does look heaps better already swimming almost normally. i didn't give a lot though.

But for future reference if epsom salt works as well, how much epsom salt per litre? I have a 200 litre tank.

so to give discus some condition. What do you feed and how often? As I thought ox heart was good for growing and making them nice and healthy.

I use bloodworms twice a week, JBL Gala (flake with dried bloodworms) as a staple.

2 tablespoon will do for 200ltrs.

I feed tetra colorbits as stable food. One feeding of bloodworm and ox heart daily and colorbits in between.

For breeders plenty of bloodworms.

When feeding ox heart, daily waterchange is a must especially if you're using commercially prepared ox heart mix. If you have no time to do waterchange, stay away from ox heart. Your discus will still grow without it. Plenty of waterchange is the key.

ron