filter biological or not??

radu

Hi

I have a baby turtle and am thinking of changing the filter on his tank to a fluval 304 external filter.

Question I have are:

The tank is two feet long and I have filled it with 50 litres of water and am wondering if the 304 external cannister filter will be too over the top for that size tank and water.

the other thing also is I was told that as I have this filter now working on a fish tank for at least two years and it is of course a cycled tank with a mature filer containing good bacteria that I should just move it over to the turtle tank as is. What I need to know is, is the information that I got correct does a turtle need a biological filter going or not? as I thought when cleaning a filter for a turtle tank the aim was to have it clean as pos meaning I thought I would have to wash each basket in the filter as opposed to fish where I would not wash some parts in the filter to keep the good bacteria in.

Can someone please tell me what's right for turtle setup please?? The 304 filter also is meant to filter up to 300 litres and of course I only have 50 litres of water in my tank so is it okay to use this filter for the small amount of water in this tank?

Also, the filter I have has got ceramic noodles in each compartment and the sponges. If I can use this filter do I need to get rid of some of the noodles and put in carbon or what is the best insides for a turtle filter??

Thanks

Turtles need heavy filtration and the more the better so long as the return is not blasting it all over the tank. Leave the filter as it is and only clean it when the flow is restricted. Clean the pipes and only clean the media enough to restore the flow. It is a biological filter regardless of what is in the tank. Put the charcoal on the bbq.

Turtles need heavy filtration and the more the better so long as the return is not blasting it all over the tank. Leave the filter as it is and only clean it when the flow is restricted. Clean the pipes and only clean the media enough to restore the flow. It is a biological filter regardless of what is in the tank. Put the charcoal on the bbq.

ha ha ha. good call. :P