Help needed with sad goldfish

bikerchick

Hi There, Im new to fishkeeping and this forum. I have a semi large goldfish that I brought from Hutt Pet Centre. He was brought with white spot aaarrrgggghhh. He seems to be over it now after alot of help from a fishfriend, but alas something else is afoot. He seems rather....sad hes not eating much not even blood worms. He seems lathargic just sitting at the bottom or middle of the tank. Now there are some very strange things floating in the tank eg some long and short white stringy things. My mate tells me its poos but Im not sure. One of the long ones had bits of red and brown in it, could this be worms? Ive got him in a tank on his own with nothing in it except a airstone thingy, so I could keep an eye on him. I havent seen these long stringy things in the big tank with the other happy go getting goldfishes, so whats wrong with my boy Carrot?

Thanks

Hi and welcome. I think it is poo too and your goldfish isn't well. How long have you had the fish? It could be just settling in (they can sulk for a while) and, depending on what it was being fed, it can alter the colour and texture of the poo. Bits of red in it, plus it being white and stringy, doesn't sound good and it might have internal parasites of some sort (inc worms).

Any sign of redness about the gills or breathing rapidly?

Hi there :)

Hope he comes right.. but to help you better we need to know how big the tank is thats he's in and how long its been set up.. do you know about cycling and ammonia and all that good stuff?

Some pictures would help....also if he's just getting over whitespot and he's been having lots of medication he might just need heaps of fresh water changes and some time to recover :)

I had him around a month..I think hes had white spot since I got him and Ive just had another look at him and he looks as though he may still have it as there are a few little spots on his face. Looks like acne!. There is no discolouration on his body apart from the little spots (approx 4) My friend reckoned it is the food im feeding hence the colour of the poos, but that doesnt explain why he seems sad, okay I did take him out of his tank and put him in on his own in a small tank, but even when he was with the other guys he wasnt eating much, but I guess at least he was swimming around.

Male goldfish have spots on their gill plates.. called tubercles.

These can sometimes be confused with whitespot. They also sometimes appear at the edges of their dorsal and pectoral fins (the top one and first ones on the side)

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/gol ... ing-fs.htm

If the fish is in a small tank with no filter then odds are there is now ammonia building up in there. How long has he been in the small tank? and how small is the tank?

I'd do a BIG water change anyway....it won't hurt. Just try to get the temp about the same. How often have you been changing the water in the small tank and what % at a time?

Ive only had Carrot in the small (20Ltr) tank for 2 days. I think maybe your right about him being a male because those spots are the same as the picture he also has a few spots on the top of his tail.Could he be sad that Ive removed him from the large tank with all his mates? How sensitive are Goldies?

I'd say keep the water changes up in his 20L bin (50%+ every day). without being cycled the ammonia etc. will be building up very fast.

Is he eating? Have you tried feeding him nothing but peas for now? Maybe he got a bit constipated?