New Tank

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, I am new to keeping aquarium and stuff, but I think fish r pretty cool and nice to look at after seeing the tank at cuzzin's house. I have not yet bought an aquarium or parts, But im looking for a good looking tank with some plants, (tropical) along with some Neon Tetras.

Can u guys help me out with advice, submersible filter prices, brands and stuff. I also need gravel, plants, air pumps, airstones..... the whole 9 yards.

Any help appreciated :wink:

Hi breakaway and welcome. Second hand is the cheapest way to go. We have a for sale section here or check out trademe, the local paper, or auctions.

The bigger the better when it comes to tanks. Larger tanks are easier to maintain than smaller ones and are more forgiving of newcomer's mistakes.

Prices vary around the country (where are you?) and from shop to shop so it is more what you can find locally that counts.

Joining a fish club is good for a beginner as you get all sorts of help and advice (not to mention fish and plants if you are lucky :wink: )

Hi,

Thanx Caryl 4 ur help

I am planning on buying like a 20 litre aquarium from Hollywood Fish Farm. I need prices on submersible filters, please if u have any 4 sale post here and I also need a 150 watti heater (right wattage ?) Im gonna need 1 of those too if ur selling any ploese post here and if u guys could please gimme the prices so I can get the money together.... there r no NZ webistes which LIST prices of equip and fish on web... as far as i know.....

Any help appreicated

Hi,

Thanx Caryl 4 ur help

I am planning on buying like a 20 litre aquarium from Hollywood Fish Farm. I need prices on submersible filters, please if u have any 4 sale post here and I also need a 150 watti heater (right wattage ?) Im gonna need 1 of those too if ur selling any ploese post here and if u guys could please gimme the prices so I can get the money together.... there r no NZ webistes which LIST prices of equip and fish on web... as far as i know.....

Any help appreicated

I might have a submersable Shark filter and 200watt heater for sale. The shark filter has all the media and the heater has never been used.

PM me :) I am in Auckland.

IF you are having a 20l tank, you will only need a 25w heater at the most. any bigger and you risk frying your fish!!!! :x

I personally recomend you get something at least 80lt......20l tanks just do have the room for alot of the fish you will want. Look around for second hand tanks.....they are about 1/3 the price of a new tank!!!!

i would go for a

3 foot tank and stand

1 single light tube

internal filter (fluval, shark ect.)

if you want you could get a airpump and a bubble wall for decoration ;)

Hay guys,

I hear about "cycling" a lot, and taht some particular fishes are good cyclers, any suggestions on species ??? For cycling the tank b4 tetras are added or can tetras do the cycling themselves ??

As far as I know tetras are good cyclers. So are guppies.

Cycling a tank is important. The filters work by growing bacteria that eat the fish waste. You need some fish waste (or do a fishless cycle with ammonia, someone might be able to give details about this) to start the bacteria, hence the need to start with a small number of fish (depends on tank size) and slowly add more over time. You need the bacteria to grow at the pace the fish are added. Too many fish at once and they will die due to ammonia build-up as you won't have enough bacteria to convert the waste into good stuff.

I would start with 6 neons. Test the water for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites each week. When they are acceptable levels (theywill go up and then go down again) after a couple of weeks add 3 or 4 more fish. This is how I have always done it anyway and never had a problem :wink: