Little introduced fish in stream (but what is it??)

warrenp

I found loads of these in a dried up creek pond today in Featherston, Wairarapa, living with some tiny bullies and an eel. They are all small (about 4cm long).

I imagine they are baby brook trout or something similar, but I can't find an identifying photo anywhere on the net...

Any ideas anyone?

fish8.jpg

fish6.jpg

fish5.jpg

fish1.jpg

Put me down for some if your shipping any :D

I think he might get in a bit of trouble for catching fish without a license if he did that...And undersize too. :lol:

Go to images.google.com and search for "Trout Fry" You'll come up with heaps of fry that look just like that. The stripe pattern seems very distinctive.

Thanks Ira, 'Fry' was the word I was looking for last night. Apparently brook trout are only found on the volcanic plateau in the NI so I think these must be rainbow trout (brown trout fry look different having caught one years ago).

No I won't tell DOC and risk a fine... It seems highly absurd... I mean if they were giant kokopu (somewhat endangered and uniquely native to NZ) I could've taken them home for my aquarium, but if I do the same with these globally populated introduced competitors to native fish (partially responsible for their declining numbers) I could get booked???

And what about whitebait being undersized?...

I'd gladly ship them for cost but I don't think they'd make the journey (needing such high oxygenation). If anyone is passing by Featherston, feel free to pick some up. email warrenpreiss at gmail dot com.

Well if I put them back I will surely get booked! (that is if DOC employees spend their summer workdays lounging on the net browsing aquarium hobbyist forums... :wink:)

See, it hasn't rained here for quite some time and it has also been very hot the last few days. The creek they came from has now mostly dehydrated back to only underground flow, and the tiny puddle that had these fish in it yesterday (already worse for weather then) has now dried up completely and turned the few remaining specimens I failed to net into the fish equivalent of beef jerky (i.e. sun-dried preserved fish meat, but barely enough for a fritter...).

I think I rescued about 7 or 8... of which I'd be happy to give most away to good homes (aquariums).

However, certainly not to someone who will go and plonk these fellas into free flowing NZ waterways for the benefit of their later fishing pleasure! Nature had it to end their evolutionary and ecological significance and I wouldn't be too pleased with myself knowing I were accessory to further tipping the scales in favor of introduced fish... (I mean would anyone here after having rescued a distressed ship only to find it crewed by possums willingly release the throng of herbivores into a Pittosporum patulum grove?)

Trout is on "unwanted" list there isn't it. Rainbow trout, many people would love to be fishing for them here!

Caper

Nope, it's on the "Sweet, we can charge people money to fish for them!" list. So, they're basically happy to have it introduced anywhere.

It sounds as though you did the same thing as me many years ago. Walking past a pond of water and seeing a shoal of fish that were shoaling but were not whitebait. All I had was a plastic bag and managed to drive part of the shoal into that.

What did they turn out to be?

With me it was children who alerted me to the fish. I was busy trying to collect some cool water (slim chance) for my native tank and was ambushed by a group of children trying to catch the eels in the remaining mud of the big swimming hole downstream. We got to talking about native fish and bullies and so on and one burst out that there were loads of 'cockabullies' in a dried up pond further down, but that they had been unable to catch any with their empty chippies packets (not surprisingly). To which I promptly marched home for my net. :)

Well if I put them back I will surely get booked! (that is if DOC employees spend their summer workdays lounging on the net browsing aquarium hobbyist forums... :wink:)

See, it hasn't rained here for quite some time and it has also been very hot the last few days. The creek they came from has now mostly dehydrated back to only underground flow, and the tiny puddle that had these fish in it yesterday (already worse for weather then) has now dried up completely and turned the few remaining specimens I failed to net into the fish equivalent of beef jerky (i.e. sun-dried preserved fish meat, but barely enough for a fritter...).

I think I rescued about 7 or 8... of which I'd be happy to give most away to good homes (aquariums).

DOC is the least of your worries- the acclimitisation society aka 'we love trout, even if they massacre natives' is the one that won't be happy- no license and undersized...I would contact them and say they were rescued..and if they say keep them then get in in writing or save the email.

However, certainly not to someone who will go and plonk these fellas into free flowing NZ waterways for the benefit of their later fishing pleasure! Nature had it to end their evolutionary and ecological significance and I wouldn't be too pleased with myself knowing I were accessory to further tipping the scales in favor of introduced fish... (I mean would anyone here after having rescued a distressed ship only to find it crewed by possums willingly release the throng of herbivores into a Pittosporum patulum grove?)

DOC is the least of your worries- the acclimitisation society aka 'we love trout, even if they massacre natives' is the one that won't be happy- no license and undersized...I would contact them and say they were rescued..and if they say keep them then get in in writing or save the email.

I can't get a phone on the acclimitization society... google "new zealand acclimatization society" and you get 4 links, none with phone numbers or email addresses...

Today I went up and down the creek a bit more. I saw quite a few dried trout fry and found another pool with some live ones including about a 25cm brown trout (whom I caught to look at then put back). I estimate there to be about 30 fry in this pond, but if it doesn't rain tomorrow I think this pond will also be dry and gone by Sunday. So if anyone would like me to rescue these fish for them, let me know quick!