Nitrate?? traces -what now?

newfish

Ok what does it mean if you have traces of Nitrate in your tank??

tanks a 215ltr (note different one to one in another post - with sick fish)

Ph 7.6 (ph from tap)

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5.0 - what does this mean??

Should I be concerned??

No, you shouldnt be concerned at all. A nitrAte reading of 5ppm is good if thats where its usually sitting :)

NitrAte is the last step in the cycle (ammonia turns into nitrite which turns into nitrate put simply) and it is removed mainly by water changes but plant can absorb a little also.

It depends on what you are keeping as to what nirAte level your fish can handle and how much maintence is needed to keep it where you want it, discus keepers for example like to keep it as low as possible so have to do extra water changes but most community fish are happy with a reading below 40ppm (though they can often tolerate higher, its just not reccomended). In a normally stocked tank it shouldnt be getting excessively high on a weekly w/c schedule anyway.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks guys!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

thats cool then!!!!!!!!!!!

this tank has my baby danios in so I REALLY want tank to be in the best condition I can get it!!!!!

plus lets face it I'm just REALLY fussy about getting things right :roll: :roll:

(you should have seen me when I had horses! - drove my horse mates mad :roll: :lol: :lol: but then I am the only one they would trust with theres.)

thank you so much....really grateful for the help and advice!!!!!!!!

0 ppm nitrate is unheard of
Really?? cool other tank IS 0ppm I had even had Dad check my reading.....

Thats why I was so concerned about this tank being 5.O

Go plants and air pumps!! :bounce:

Really?? cool other tank IS 0ppm I had even had Dad check my reading.....

Then the other tank cant have many fish in there... :wink:

Once the fish and filters take off the Nitrate WILL go up. Then you start doing water changes. Lower you can keep it the better, but anything under 30 is probably fine.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks guys!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Tank with 0ppm has my Adult Danios all 20 of them, plus 2 Borneo Suckers and 4 other suckers I can't rememeber the name of :oops: and dear say a few hundred or so baby fry that I can't see :roll: :roll:

Yea its got a dozen or so plants so.... plus an air pump 8) and a well maintained filter 8)

other tank as said has Baby Danios (don't know how many :oops: :roll: )

air pump, filter, and a dozen or so plants as well....

Me like plants :lol: :lol: I have live fish plants in all my "tanks" ....I now have two holding "tanks" outside.. :oops: :lol: Theres that MTS going on :lol: :lol:

Yes one does those water changes weekly with out fail!

Also, when you say 0 Nitrate, you actually mean less than the test kit can measure. It could actually be 1 or 2 and not show on the test untill it gets closer to 5.

I know our tap water here has 0.5 nitrate built in, but you need a much more sensitive test to pick that up.

Anyway, lower is better, but dont sweat it if you have 20-30. If you get into bigger fish that can eat in one mouthfull what all your danios eat in a week, then nitrates become an issue. With small fish, light stocking and plenty of plants it's easier to keep them low.

Also, nitrate is one of the main fertilisers that plants need to grow, so if you are growing plants you may actually want some nitrate reading to encourage the plants.

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Cheers

Ian