cuttings

Smax

my plants have reached the top of my tank and i want to take cuttings and plant them in my new tank. how do i cut them and do i have to do anything to them before i plant them? the plants are Lysamachia, Ludwigia and Blue Hygrophila. i also have a nice looking fern thats doing well. am i able to take a cutting off that and plant it in my new tank? if so how do i do that as well?

Yes, cut them about half way down. Most of the bottom parts will branch into two new ones so you'll end up with twice as many. The trick with stem plants is to remove the whole plant when it gets too tall, cut off the bottom part and replant the top. Then you always have the new fresh growth looking it's best.

I use the method all the time and replant the bottom part where it can't bee seen if I need more plants.

If it is this sort of fern - Java Fern

java-fern.jpg

You can cut the rhizome and attach it to a rock or piece of driftwood with cotton, it should attach itself by the time the cotton has disintergrated. They do not do too well if you bury then in the substrate.

They also grow new plantlets from leaf edges, which you can break off and attach as above.