Whats the best pump please

Evie

Can any of you wonderful people advise me what would be the best filter pump for a 65litre aquarium. They sold me one with the tank but I think it is a bit useless. I have looked at all the ones on TradeMe and I wouldn't know whether I was getting a good deal or not. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg but I also don't want to be a cheapskate and get another dud. The one I have got has got that pad thingy in it which you change every 4 wks or so.

First thanks for replying to my request. Second.....sorry! I'm brand new so thought I would have to have different threads for different requests but thanks for the advice. I probably won't have a heap of questions once I get this tank up and running but I appreciate your help.

Hi Evie,

Don't know exactly what Michael is referring to...

Just a suggestions next time would be a good idea to combine all your questions into one thread.

... as your question is a separate issue from your other posts... (Plants... and Water Probs)... so don't be concerned.... as this is what the site is for.... to ask questions.... so... what you say is correct in this case.

I'm brand new so thought I would have to have different threads for different requests

Putting too many questions in one post gets confusing... as by the time a few replies are made... most of your questions would be possibly overlooked.

Like... if you started talking about a sick fish you had in this thread... then it would not be the thing to do.. as the topic is your Filter system... which could go here or in the Technical section... but as you say... you are "Brand New".. as you put it... so this section is correct.... and you "would" start a new thread in the correct section for other problems not concerning this one.

Welcome to the Fishroom BTW...:)

Why not go to the Welcome Section and tell everyone about yourself..:)

As a basic guideline I try to get 4-5 times turnover.

So 65L tank, 5 times turnover

325 litres/hr

So go for an internal filter that flows 300L/H.

Eheim and Fluval come recommended but also come with a price tag. I'm a cheap ass, and have had good experience with the Haliea range ($35 vs $75). Also in the economy range are AquaOne which are 'ok', and Shark ADV which are 'ok' but I personally don't like them.

Given your location your selection will likely be limited to what is on the shelf, or available via trademe. But what you are looking for on the packet or advertisement is the ' litres per hour' or 'LPH' or 'L/hr' etc needs to be around 250-350. Too much and the fish will confuse home for a hurricane, too little and it'll go eww.

There is also the topic of 'cycling your new filter' which is a whole different bag of fish! You may already know about the nitrogen cycle, but if you don't make sure to do some reading on the net, this site, and dont be affraid to ask more questions.

if u've got room, you could get a hang on the back filter such as an aquaclear, they're very good and you don't need to take up too much tank space that way...cos it is only a 65L tank.

aquaclear 30 or 50 should be fine... or if you wanted to spend the money you could get an eheim cannister filter, 2213, that would be good too. retail they're about $160-180, but im sure you could get a good deal on TradeMe or something......

Thanks again for all your help.

This morning I bought a pump and just hope its ok because it was recommended in the shop and it had 25% discount. Also someone else on the forum recommended this brand.

The only problem is I don't know how many LPH.

I looked everywhere on the box and the directions.....so I will copy what I think may be relevant.

Its a Eheim 2008

IMP Max 13

I/H 150-300 (this is the one that I think is talking about litres per hour?)

I'm not sure how hard the bubbles should be, its pretty powerful after my other one and I've got it turned down.

I had a $10 gift voucher (from buying the tank) and so altogether I got a $79.95 pump for 49.95!

I figured that had to be a plus. Now all I hope is that someone doesn't tell me its the wrong one!!!!

It's not I/H its l/H (lowercase L which stands for litres)

l/H = litres/Hour

Sounds perfect for your needs.

Bubbles just need to be enough to encourage water to move to the surface, doesn't need to be on very high. Remember the tank has to cycle yet, so add only a couple of fish max and minimal feeding. Preferably fish of low $ value.

Sorry Jn :roll: there I go again, getting the terminology wrong!!

I remember back in the 'old' days when people used to refer to aquarium plant as 'weed' and how annoying it was but mind you weed has a different meaning altogether these days. There I go rambling again! No, seriously honestly I have appreciated all the help I have received and even the offer of free cichlids to 'clean' up my tank! Guppies are looking good, cycle is cycling, pump is moving water around and the filter is doing its job. What more could I want.......NO NOT any offer of cichlids Thanks!!!