marine advice

doch

Doch - Good luck with the new setup. Steve can help point you in the right direction. Don't be put off by the complexity, you get out what you put in.

To get you going there are 3 things you will need.

1. A good quality skimmer is worth its weight in gold. There are some good 2nd hand skimmers around and it can never be too big. Don't be fooled by the shops, get some advice from someone running a good tank, it all starts with the skimmer.

2. More rock is better than less rock. Good quality live rock is 'the filter' for the system. There is quite a bit about at the moment but don't be stingy. Less is more does not apply to rock so load up.

3. Patience. Although it can't be brought it is the most important thing you will need. Although there are some quick fixes out there most of us just rely on time. Take it slow and you will be rewarded with a healty environment.

Best of luck.

Pies

i would go for second hand if you can get them at a good price.

the most important equipment which you cant skimp on is

Skimmer cost about $500-700

lights, metal halides or t5s $400-700

refractometer cost $120

good power heads like, tunze stream or iks wave pumps.

i think thats about it.

i thought that was cheap.

marines are not cheap as they need very good water quality.

Wait until to see the price of the fish/coral. as that is the expensive part.

i say if you can afford a budget of $4000, then the hobby is not for you. I have seen so many people try to spend less and when you see there tank you have to feel sorry for the livestock,

I think my tanks owes me $40,000.

I mostly agree with what Reef has said: 2nd hand is the way to go and JetSkiSteve is the man to talk too.

There are some cheaper options for skimmers but ultimatly a good skimmer is worth the $. Most people who buy cheap ones end up buying an expensive one later, so why not cut out the first step?

Lighting in a shallow tank normal fluros are 'OK'. But the type of coral you can keep is going to be limited (still some nice stuff out there). If you can't afford it all or are more interested in fish than coral good fluros are OK to start out.

Reef didn't mention test kits. For a new tank you will need Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & KH. You may also need some supliments (KH/PH Buffer). Salifert is a good brand and more affordable than you may think. AVOID Hagen test kits.

Reef also didn't mention rock... Live rock is often over $10 per KG, I have over 150kg in my tank, I suspect reef has over 250kg. If you can afford it pay extra for the better quality rock, its the MOST important part of the system.

Reefs sentiment about the cost is right, not sure about the amount. The thing to remember is that if you don't have the money, you chance of success is greatly limited. So I would say if money is tight, then hold off for now, save and study. I am not willing to say how much my tank has cost, but to give you a hint I think I have spent about $5,000.00 more than I intended (excluding stock!).

Good luck. It is a great hobby and I've met some great people so don't let me or anyone else put you off it, just understand the commitment before you start.

Pies

:D well went to hollywood nice place they are building a huge new tank in there but checked out all the gear and filtration (MY SUMP SHOULD BE OK)

my sump is the same as they use skimmers they had were aquacare ones coral rock $10kg

I figure I've got about $1500 left to go before I can start putting corals and things in my tank. About $900 before I'll put any fish in. That's assuming I can get some cheap second hand MH. Haven't seen any good second hand skimmers, though.

Doch - Since your in Auckland you should organise a trip out to the shore and meet JetSkiSteve, look at his tank and ask him some questions (you won't mind right Steve?).

Doch - The LFS (Local Fish Shops) are interested in ONLY one thing, you success is not in their best interest. Take is slowly. When I started out I didn't buy a single thing without discussing it with Steve or Reef first, between the 2 of them they have saved (and cost!) me thousands.

Doch - The rock you brought (dry white rock right?) is OK, but its dead. It will liven up, given much time (6 months or more) so its not wasted. JetSkiSteve has a line on some very good (and old which is good) rock, even if you can only afford a little this will help seed your tank and introduce some bacterrie, algae (the good stuff, purple) and other little critters you can't get from the dead white stuff.

IRA - There is quite a bit of 2nd hand stuff around at the moment, and many bargins to be had. We (through JetSkiSteve, thanks again steve) got a double 250watt metal halide light fixture (Arcadia Black) with a centre PC moon light for $400.00. A very good price. We got a GREAT skimmer a month or 2 ago, $400.00 for an Turbo Floater 1000. There is a GREAT TUNZE insump model for sale (from you good mate Reef) for under $600.00, its only 2 months old and he has been testing it in a small tank. There may even be a (mine) DelTec apf850 ($900) as I have found a DelTec APF 900 2nd hand. Steve has decked out a whole tank for a Friday, with all stock, rock and sump + skimmer in 2nd hand gear. Got to be in to win.

Good luck, stick at it.

Pies

IRA - Stop your moaning, I tire of your endless 'poor me' attitude.

The reason no-one bothers to tell you about anything thats around or to help you out is because you always know better anyway and don't take the advice offered. Hence the reason you ended up with the skimmer you have.

However in spite of my own good judgement here is some help:

Reef has a brand new 250watt pendent MH DE (double ended) for sale for less than $500.00 including a new bulb (10kBLV but he would sawp it for a Coral Vue 12k or 14k if you asked nicely and thats what you wanted).

NickS has a skimmer for sale, its been running his large (600 litre+) tank no problems.

JetSkitSteve has (or had) some ehiem pumps for sump/circulation.

Reef has/had some Hagen power heads.

JetSkiSteve has access to some GREAT live rock complete with mushrooms, copepods etc, infact I might take it myself.

I have offered to get you test kits and additives but you made it to hard for me.

What about posting a WANTED add this boards T&E section.

Pies

I've asked you several times to get me test kits. I've told you exactly which ones I want. I've asked at least twice if you have any idea when you can get them for me. I've given up and decided I'll get them from somewhere else.

As for the rest, Thank you. I'll send NickS a PM and ask him about the skimmer. At the moment I need a HOB(No sump) so my current plan is to buy a new Deltec MCE600 from Reef, if the price hasn't changed significantly, as soon as I know if I'll be working after May. As for "The reason" I ended up with the skimmer I've got. BFD, I paid $120 for a secondhand pump that would cost me a bit more than that at cost and took a gamble on whether or not the skimmer would work for me. It didn't, but I've still got a perfectly good pump so, get over it, I have.

I'm also thinking of using the PJ2000 for either a closed loop or to power a sump if I can find a good shelf. So, for now I'm ok for current, if I get to work on it. Something like a sea swirl would be nice if anyone wants to part with one.:)

For lighting, I'm hoping to get a pair of 250s secondhand, I can always go new later if I can't find any used ones, we'll see. But lighting at the moment isn't a top priority.

JetSkiSteve, how much do you want for the live rock? I'm a bit tentative about buying anything more than hardware until I've got at least a skimmer.

IRA - I offered to get you the test kits as a favor, but I was unable to confirm you a price, you told me you didn't know what you wanted without knowing a price. I even offered to loan you mine, you declined. I am glad you are getting them somewhere else, saves me the hastle of having to deal with you.

As for the skimmer story, not sure you being completely honest, but to be completely honest I don't care. Get over it? Never my problem to begin with...

PACE same day will do 20kg for $75.00. I wouldn't want my rock to be out of water for much more than a few hrs, will help reduce any amonia spikes from die off. Won't matter in a tank with no life, but I would be concerned about it in my own tank.

I would reccomend getting as much of that rock as you can while its available. Equipment is always around, good rock (especially at the price) isnt. You could argue that rock is the single most important part of the whole system.

Good luck

Pies