My Mudfish Arrived!!!

Stella

I am involved in a mudfish breeding project for massey university as part of a master's student's thesis. She is going to have some in large outdoor troughs and i will have some in an indoor aquarium (where I can keep a close eye in them ;)

And they arrived last night!!! Five big 'uns. 12-13cm total length. Nice and fat. Jsut gorgeous, in a kinda ugly way.

I am going to try and upload a few photos but had no luck last time, I think it is some problem with picasa and this site....

If it doesn't work, go here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nznativefish/Mudfish

There are also full size versions there, plus overviews of the tank.

(edit: trying again)

2007_11_14029Small.jpg

2007_11_14023Small.jpg

2007_11_14027Small.jpg

2007_11_14031Small.jpg

Don't worry, most people have never heard of them!

tis a native fish, related to the whitebait fish, but this one lives in wetlands. There are five or six species. This is the brown one from taranaki/manawatu/kapiti/west-coast-of-south-island. There are two up north, one down south (canterbury) and another on the chathams.

They do not like deep water and often live in places where the water dries out over summber. They wriggle under logs and things and stay moist but out of the water until the rain comes again.

They are evolving towards eels.

Very cool :)