silver dollars grow to size of tank !! ??

snookie

As far as i am aware NO fish "grow to the size of the tank". That is an old wives tale which is a poor excuse to stunt their growth and not let them live to their full and happy potential. And if the seller *was* confused with pacu then to me that is even worse as pacu get much much bigger than silver dollars and should not be in a tank that size.

This ad actually made me quite sad as silver dollars are right up there as one of my all time favourite fishes.

To think that these people have those dollars in a 2ft tank where i imagine they would not really have the space to swim as they do naturally and don't have the water volume which seems to be a key factor in making them secure in their environment. :evil: My school of dollars (10 fish) were not happy until we got our 6ft (2meter) tank for them and i recommend that that is the minimum size for a school like what i have got.

Since when was 6ft, 2 metres?

bah!! :P no need to get picky!! lol! never could get my imperial measures right.

200 Centimeters = 6.56167 Feet

Rough enough for me :lol:

is 2 silver dollars allryt in a 325l tank 100cm

I really dunno , just the 2 could be alright in there.

When we first got our dollars we got all ten as adults all at once and the biggest tank we had was a 4ft by 1.5 x 1.5 250L which we bought at the time for the dollars thinking they would be ok in it. We were very wrong.

The tank was far too small for them, they would freak everytime someone moved near the tank and swim full speed from one end of the tank and back again but they wouldn't stop before the glass, they would smack at full speed into the ends of the tank. And they are like sheep and all follow a leader so we had 10 big fish smacking themselves on each end of our tank. we put newspaper on the ends of the tank to see if that would stop it but it didn't, we tried covering the tank to make it dark and see if that would calm them but that freaked them cause then they couldn't see but could still feel vibrations. And everytime we would peek in to feed them or just have a look they would throw a spaz. We couldn't do anything that wouldn't stress them.

But an answer came in the form of hearing someone wanting to sell a large tank (2m x .6m x .6m 660L + sump)at a pet shop one day and doing some very quick thinking we bagged ourselves the bargain of a fantastic and very well made tank.

Needless to say the moment the tank was up and running and the dollars were put in they became different fish all together. It was really amazing to see just what a difference it made to have them in a bigger tank. They are so much fun now. They are exceptionally nosey; they have to check EVERYTHING out :roll: utter pigs, fast, bold and their conga lines can't be beaten!