Under water waterfalls

Hawkes

Hi Everyone :)

I have a puzzly question for you all!! I want to make an underwater waterfall using fine sand for the illusion and am wondering if anyone here would know and like to share how they've done it or can point me to a site with some more info?

Thanks so much :)

I think the trick would be finding a small pump that would suck up a slurry of sand and water from the bottom of the 'sandfall'. Pumping sand would kill most pumps over time, but it's done on an industrial scale so it must be possible.

Cheers

Ian

check out the english aquarium magazine - in the top 25 tanks of the year they have one in particular that achieved such a look - very cool (maybe you could even email the owner of the tank to get a bit of an idea how he/she did it?)

I will do a search...sounds all so interesting and I've a nice wee tank I'm doing up and would look Fabulous with a under water waterfall illusion!!

Thanks for that :) I found one similar to this one but they obviously only pinched the one pic off this guy. I wonder if they use something else as well as the bubbles as I've attempted to create the pipe etc to see how it goes ...But I get stumped on the release of sand at the top, it's just not enough sand to make a decent flow!! Ok back to tinkering LOL I'm gonna figure it out yet!!

I think the trick would be finding a small pump that would suck up a slurry of sand and water from the bottom of the 'sandfall'. Pumping sand would kill most pumps over time, but it's done on an industrial scale so it must be possible.

Cheers

Ian

I think that too....it's just finding one that will suck up the sand ...We've tried all of ours but with no success so far....will find out how though :)

You used to be able to buy them a few years back from your LFS

Yes the guy at Hollywood fish farm said that too, but in the same breath he said they weren't that good either, I was going to modify one to get it working the way I wanted but they don't stock them now because the couldn't get the silicon sand anymore that they work with.

I have one. Takes the sand from the bottom to the top using bubbles. Up the top is a thin sponge that releases the air but not the sand. Sand then falls out the front of the waterfall and down to the catching area at the bottom where is goes around again.

Issue is with gettting the sand and the fish eating the sand. I am just using it as a rock display now due to the above. Can take a couple of photos and post them if you like.

I have one. Takes the sand from the bottom to the top using bubbles. Up the top is a thin sponge that releases the air but not the sand. Sand then falls out the front of the waterfall and down to the catching area at the bottom where is goes around again.

Issue is with gettting the sand and the fish eating the sand. I am just using it as a rock display now due to the above. Can take a couple of photos and post them if you like.

Thanks :) I would love to see some pics if you've time to take some. The sponge at the top ....now that was something others on the sites didn't mention!! That could be quite important!!! Your fish ate the sand? Thats a bit odd isn't it LOL I hope my lot don't do that ...

Thanks again,

Sharon