Convict Rabbits?

Jalil30

I am rather new to fish keeping myself. However I have fallen pretty hard and getting those around me hooked. That being said. I set up a 40 gallon tank for a friend of mine about 6 months or so ago. We decided on convicts. His nephew accidentally broke the tank (floor buffer) they were moved for emergency purposes to a smaller 10 gallon tank. Since being in there, (5Convicts) a pair keeps breeding.. the tank fills with baby convicts and then they just disappear. What should we do. So far all we've done is remove the other 3. How can we insure the survival of this fry. Scared to move them. (so tiny)..

• 2 months later...

Trouble with saving the fry is it never ends. I have at least a hundred of them, and whats worse is they're so hard to catch I have at least 5 in every tank now. Have to wait for them to get larger so I can catch them.

But as for saving fry there are two methods.

First method - mildly effective - save at least 30-40 or more - get a piece of hose, and syphon the babies out in to a bucket, then transfer this bucket of tank water in to a new tank, add heater + air filter and you're away. Feed them crushed flake, and you'll have little stripey convicts begging for food in no time.

Second method - painfully effective - could result in hundreds of convicts - syphon some tank water in to a fresh aquarium, move eggs in to new aquarium, keep as vertical as possible (to prevent debris from landing on them) and use a nearby airstone to keep water circulating over the eggs (do not let bubbles touch eggs). If you are LUCKY some of the eggs will fungus :lol:

If you're crazy and want to improve numbers further, options to try are adding meth blue, covering the tank, manually removing any fungus, and using temperature matched fresh water instead of tank water.

After 2-3 days they'll be wrigglers and take care of themselves, few days later they'll be swimming around looking for food (crushed flake works).

If you've fallen for fish don't get parrot's it's even harder to stop. I think being animal lovers we just want to give them all a good home. Don't know what the market like for convicts over their but here you find it hard to rehome them so before you put the work in see if you'll be able to sell them.