What a Honey

caserole

I haven't breed anything in a short while so on Saturday I set up some Cockatoo Apisto's and a pair of Honey Gourami's ( Colisa Chuna ).

I'm really wrapped, :bounce: :bounce: although I have breed them before many years ago - it was the golden colour form. So when I saw the wild form in a local shop a few months back I snapped up a pair.

When seeing they had spawned I garbed the camera and turned off the ceiling lights.

Unfortunately I didn't turn the flash on so all the pic's I took of the female tickling the male with her ventral fins before stealing a mouth full of eggs (thankfully spitting them out after a short chase) didn't come out.

I couldn't net her fast enough after seeing that. :x

He's a little brighter and darker then the pic indicates.

RIMG1498Small.jpg

Thanks Pea'

Yes they hatched sometime last night or this morning.

I estimate around 80-100 fry, not bad considering it's this pairs first spawning.

By the way the round white things are not dead Honey eggs, they're brine shrimp cysts.

Here's a couple of pic's.

I hope they're ok the fry are so small it is hard to get a good close up.

honey2Small.jpg

honey1Small.jpg

Dixon1990 wrote

Do these gourami always get ulcers like the dwarfs and die or not?

This is the first pair I've had for some years, so haven't experienced that problem.

The pair is well shaped and healthy and as said I have had them for a while and spawned with in days of being set up.

They also tend to be imported young unlike The Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia ) which I have only seen as large specimens.

SpidersWeb wrote

Don't have any agasezii on the go by any chance?

Better answer you by Pm