Threadfin Rainbows

SpidersWeb

I think these are an amazing fish, and I want to breed some. I've got two boys and four girls, and am going to be feeding them up :)

Now all sites on the internet seem to agree, they spawn in fine leaved plants, but how do I encourage the spawn? e.g. temps, water depth, any grass? plastic ok or do I need javamoss?

Some sites are saying its the same as any other rainbow, but I don't know how to breed rainbows so that didn't help me much!

Anyone with info or suggestions or even links to good sites, please reply :) Thanks again guys and gals,

Jono

Thanks coelacanth :)

Nobody else breeding these?

Don't make me write an AquariumWorld article :evil: hehe

When they're in full colour they're amazing. I added a bunch of Cabomba and I guess this activated either spawning activity or more comfort as the males went almost black and did more fin displays, fabulous wee fish.

How much more info do you need???

Or would you like us to come around and breed them for you :wink:

A small killi tank is fine 200x300x200mm.

Temp:- mid 20's works.

Water:- Upper Hutt tap water works so Wellington should too.

Eggs are small but like other rainbows and killifish are hard and can be picked from spawning mops or moss and placed into a container of tank water for hatching if you choose.

Other wise leave breeders in set up for 10 to 14 days to do their thing then remove,

start adding every other day or so just the smallest amount of micro food so when the fry are free swimming the tank will be alive with tiny creepy crawly's

or

you could just start feeding when you see the first free swim fry.

Fry have very small mouths and need microscopic food like green water, milk of micro worm culture or liquid fry food.

P.S I lost my female so am on the look out for another.

Good Luck

So what's wrong with writing an Aquarium World article???

Yeah was just joking around :) thinking it might be a good idea, as there isn't as much information about these guys as there is other species, so I think people would benefit from it.

Stimpy, great links, thanks!

Stu, awesome stuff :) My fish are actually in Upper Hutt, only about 2 blocks from your place. Thanks heaps for that write up, just the kind of local and experienced knowledge I was after! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I've setup a Jebo R338 (38 litres) with plastic grass and a huge chunk of Java Moss. The factory filter is off, and replaced with a cycled sponge filter. 100% fresh water, added water ager but thats it.

Put in two fat females and a single male.

I'm going to leave them for a week. At the moment I don't think they're overlly happy in the smaller tank. If I start seeing tiny fish after the parents removal, I'll continue this procedure to build my threadfin armies.

Got microworms and infusoria and liquid fry food at the ready.

Sounds good SpidersWeb, I would encourage you to leave the breeders in the tank up to 10 days though, that gives the fish a few days to settle down and get on with spawning.

Although in saying that I bought a pair of neon dwarf rainbows 4 days ago and started collecting eggs the next day - so who knows. :roll: