dwarf gourami disease??

dreamchaser

HI again.. the other prob we have also just discovered is our dwarf blue gourami - one of our original fish and been perfectly fine till now... around his head area hes almost turning a metallic blue colur and hes been hiding up i the top and darkest area of the tank. Hes started swimming around a bit more now but his tummy looks quite fat and his scales are sticking out off his body a little and arent lying flat..hes also looking like hes having a bit of trouble getting air... i know hes got "something" but not sure with what exactly to treat him with now... we have Melafix, some white spot cure stuff and some formalin... do we need to take him out of the tank or can we treat him while hes still in there?

reading a book it sounds like all sorts of things so im going to turn to the experts and see if you guys hve any ideas please :D

it sounds like dropsy,but it may not be.

if it is the cure is to kill it,because you do not want your other fish to get the deasease(just proving i can't spell).

how to kill it throw it on to a concrete floor,see what alan says he knows more about fish mercy killing.it maybe bloat but i don't think it is. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.....Must be a common disease in gourami's one of my Honey Dwarfs had the same symptoms....scales sticking outwards, cloudy eyes, and not too keen to eat...

Sadly after reading up in reference books, I decided that disposal was the only way......Sad but True.......it's always hard to dispose of our finned friends....

ChrisMack

If it is dropsy, its not contagious.. as far as i am aware. But there is no cure for it. We have had to isolate a few of our coldwater fishes that have it, but sadly they stay in the sick tank until they die. They dont seen to recover.