New african tank

ctsniper86

I've just got a new 4 foot tank and want to set it up as an african tank.

At the LFS there is a breeding pair of africans i want to get, can't think of the name off the top of my head, but their tail fins sort of split kinda like a pitch fork.

Anyway, I am wanting to know if I am able to use sand with shell chips mixed in to buffer the water? will the pair still dig their hole thing in the sand or do they need gravel of some sort.

And if they need gravel of some sort will fine lime chips work as I can buy large bags of this far far cheaper than coral chip.

Thanks

The traditional way of buffering the water was using lime chips, now the coral sand is popular any way works, I'm guessing your talking about Brichardi or as they're known now as pulchers (still not happy about that lol) Aftricans are determined little buggers and no matter what you use they will dig! If it wont fit in there mouth they will swim with their mouths open and bulldozer it out of the way.. So don't worry about that! Are you thinking a species tank? Or going to try and mix some fish with them?

Another african fan huh 8) Definately sounds like Brichardi (aka Pulcher.. and yes Ryan what a peeved off moment over that one huh!) haha

Anyway... they are a good fish to start off with, great little breeders normally and love watching them raise their young ones, real family unit.

Aftter googleing birchardi they do look like the pictures.

Ok thime for a tank makeover.

Atm the tank has a course dark sand bottom with three rock piles i made from siliconing rocks together.

With one inhabitant, my sole convict. (he's in solitary)

So Getting the sand out and putting in fine lime chips sounds like the best idea.

Any ideas how to get the sand out of the tank, have syphoned it out with water from a 3 foot tank before but it was one hell of a mission and took the whole day.

Any faster/easier suggestions would be great

They can quite happily be kept on sand (normal or coral sand) with limestone rock or the existing rock formation you have and you could buffer your water bicarb and epsom salts... however, if siphoning takes all day to get the sand out, then take the existing water out.... scoop the majority out with a strong plastic scooper, then flush some water back in and syphon out the small amount of sand that is left.

As above :) I also use a net to get the sand out.. It can ruin your net but oh well its easier than mucking around, also be careful not to grate the sand up against your glass it will scratch it..

You do realize there is no reason to take the sand out? You could add the lime chips in a stocking and hide it at the back of the tank or stick it in the filter or something like that? Would save alot of work thats all..

Brichardi are cool fish thats for sure, the parents will breed then the babies will grow up and they will also help guard any future spawn's so you will have many many generations in the same tank eventually :) The tank will look a bit empty initially though.. One pair of small fish in a big tank! lol

And yeah I was a bit annoyed about the brichardi/pulcher thing, we understand they should be kept apart, but eventually once it filters down people will mix them all up and the nice yellow ones will be lost, although im keeping my yellow ones and thats all ive got so mine will be pure, so will afrikans :) So its not all bad!

Ive got a pair of what were the old Brichardi, and as ryan said the tank will be quite bare for a while to begin with, but when they breed and the fry start to grow up etc the tank will slowly become fuller and fuller :D

RE the brichardi/pulcher thing, i think its ridiculous!!! they are two totally different fish IMO

Got the pair home and settled into their tank during lunch, they are a pair of Neolamprologus pulcher.

Very pretty fish, and upon entering the tank claimed on of the rock piles as there own and preceeded to dig a large hole under it.

Can't wait to get home and watch them some more.

lol sorry I should clarify what I said..

There used to be 2 different fish that were similair but different..

N Pulcher - straight up and down gill marking yellowish body (IMO the nicer looking fish and a little harder to get)

N Brichardi - long ways gill marking and a grey coloured body still a very nice fish and pretty common..

Recently scientists concluded that although there are differences inside the fish are the same and the 2 colours are just geographical changes and they are all in fact N Pulcher, I don't think its been changed yet..

It is a good idea to only breed the yellow's with the yellow's and the grey's with the grey's so neither is diluted and they will happily breed with each other..

It goes up and down, sort of like a quarter circle the longest straight part vertical and the short part horizontal.

Is this good that they are the old fish?

Sounds like you are describing Brichardi their gill plates look like this )-

and the Pulchers are like this ))

I'm never gonna call them both Pulchers :roll: