Sick bolivian butterfly ram

Myah

Hi everyone, one of my male bolivian rams had 'an episode' this morning. I fed all my fish round 7am, then had to go out and when I got home at 10am, 1 of my rams was swimming round nose down and bumping into things. :( Normally his colouring is pale grey round the nose area, yellow on the head carried part the way down the body then pale grey to the tail (usual black stripe down either side of head and black spot on body,red on fins) but he was almost black all over his body and his whole face was dark grey/blue and it look like he was gasping for air(reminded me of someone choking on something). Couldn't think what to do so put him in a plastic container with lots of holes in and floated it on top of the tank over one of the airbubblers. Left him there (shaded from the light,no spare tank) for a few hours till he looked better. Checked ph levels etc, all normal and all the other fish in the tank fine. He seems perfectly fine now, eating, swimming, colour back to normal and chasing the other rams round the tank.

Any ideas what this may have been? Nothing different added. Really freaked me out the way his colour changed so dramatically.

My bolivian's colour's change quiet a bit depending on there "mood" ie; when feeding, turning on light's, hand's in the tank ect, and also often see their mouth's moving (not "gasping" though?). Allthough the swimming "nose down" sound's strange?? maybe someone else could help??

Yep, have seen their colours change off and on like you said when stressed, being territorial or chatting up the females, etc but this wasn't the usual smudgey blackening on parts of the body, this was all over, plus the grey/blue round the face and mouth isn't something I've seen on any of them before.

If I didn't know what he looked like normally, I would've thought he was a real exotic fish going by the colouring.

He seemed really disorientated and unable to swim straight.