RED LYRETAIL SWORDTAILS?

PETEYPLECO

I bought a breeding pair of these from my LFS and the male has just died, I am wondering if anybody knows where I can find another male and maybe another pair as these are such nice fish?

I was alo told these are easy to breed but I had this pair for over a year and no babies unlike my yellow mollies that have just given birth for the second time.

Apart from the natural breeding of my rabit like mollies, if I was to go to my LFS and get a male to breed with this Lyretail, what am I looking for and do I need to encourage them or will it be quite natural?

Can sombody also explain in laymans terms what a Red Lyretail Swordtail actually is as I had only seen them once and I purchased this pair?

I would like to produce / breed more but as I have mentioned I have lost my male.

How about in laymans terms ? ? ? ?

Gonopodium is basically 'fish penis'

He means 'get a good looking male with long fins'

If you put a male and female together they WILL breed, but remember female livebearers can store sperm, so he might not necessairly be the daddy for all of the first batch.

I think a lyretail is a tail with two swords, one up top one at the bottom, but I could be wrong.

When you get a new male make sure you get one that is the same colouration / strain as your old male. e.g. red crossed with black is eww

They are definately not monogomous, livebearer fish are like drunk hippies.

Yes Lyretails have very long "swords" top and bottom of the tail and also a long "sword" trailing from the top of the dorsal fin these "swords" are up to two inches long!

Has anybody else seen these / got one as they are really nice?

My females body is double, almost three times the size of a molly.

I have no way of posting a pic for you guys but if somebody could PM me I can email them a picture to post on this site?

So if I can find a standard male sword, red in colour you are saying it may breed with my female lyretail?