How easy or hard?

Adrienne

have you read the basic starters guide? its as a sticky at the top of the marine page- its very good... Small tanks are harder to maintain. I would recommend a 150-200L tank for a beginner, not to big to require lots of expensive equipment and stock to fill and not to small that keeping water parameters stable. Marine tanks (tropical) are pretty easy to maintain as long as you are willing to spend the $ to get some decent equipment and are prepareed to read lots and spend a bit of time each week testing water parameters, dosing stuff etc... Check out othr tanks on here and elsewhere to get you started, and ask lots of questions...

But back to the origional question, I would say hard, and I base that because we see a LOT of people want to start a marine tank, then at some stage before it is completed, give up.

It can be done by pretty much anyone, provided they are dedicated enough to spend time and do the research, plus have the needed funds. The other hard thing for people coming from fresh water is a salt water tank uses different filtration methods, it is hard to move away from what a person knows and understands, some people insist on using fresh water filtration methods such as cannister filters for their marine tank, and this causes problems. It is nessecary to approach marine tank keeping with an open mind.

But back to the origional question, I would say hard, and I base that because we see a LOT of people want to start a marine tank, then at some stage before it is completed, give up.

It can be done by pretty much anyone, provided they are dedicated enough to spend time and do the research, plus have the needed funds. The other hard thing for people coming from fresh water is a salt water tank uses different filtration methods, it is hard to move away from what a person knows and understands, some people insist on using fresh water filtration methods such as cannister filters for their marine tank, and this causes problems. It is nessecary to approach marine tank keeping with an open mind.

Sums it up perfectly - unless you really are willing to dedicate yourself to it, it will be a disappointment