Bracing for a 10mm tank

SAFFABOY

Hi guys,

I have a 1200x600x600 tank in 10mm.When i bought it second hand the bracing was cracked.I'm only talking about the bracing around the top circumfrence.It was originally 6mm stuff.Would 6mm glass be sufficient to brace such a tall tank.I was thinking 10mm strips along the length of about 80mmwide.Also a 150mm wide brace in the centre,running back to front glass in 10mm.

Any advice on where to get some cut for next to nothing....student !

Thanks

I would think that 6mm would be strong enough, as it is acting in the other direction as bracing.. BUT others on here have said to use the same thickness as the tank..

As for getting it cut cheap, go plead poor to your local glass company ask to cut it from second hand glass.. Even ask them if they have some old glass lying around you might be able to try and cut yourself, however the 80mm strips are hard to cut I haven't had much luck cutting long ones esp in 6mm glass I could probably do it in 5mm but its harder..

Im sure some of the more experienced tank builders will come on and tell you what the story is good luck :)

Euro bracing is the strip bracing right around the top ( and usually the bottom also) that is being described, I think the strap bracing across the tank causes more problems than it solves. When I was building and repairing tanks many of the broken ones had straps accross the middle and had broken right by the strap. I have a few 1200mm tanks from 10mm glass and the euro bracing is around the top but 12mm down and the lid (of polycarbonate) fits on top of that. 600mm is a tall tank--- my tallest are 500mm.

The reason it would break from near the brace is that the walls of the tank are too thin causing a bend in the glass with a stress point being at the brace.

All it takes is for an Ion to be near the top and near the brace and you have a weak point.

As I have mentioned several times, a lot of tanks are built well below the glass manufactures recomendations... not the aquarium people or glaziers but the people that make the glass.