Mortality rate goldfish fry

ducati

Yes from my own fish - I think the key is to cull anything that is less than viable - and yes time consuming. I have read a lot about the percentage of quality individuals as being as low as 10% and am beginning to think that is realistic. I need to cull even more - keeping only the top 10%

so does that explain the few dead ones I find each day? Its only been in the last week or so I have noticed it happening. I dont think there is anything else it could be - am doing water changes and the tanks are well filtered. THanks for your help by the way.

It probably is the reason and the problem is it is usually the better/fancy ones that are the weakest. You can treat the parents before spawning but many of the treatments cause tempoary sterility ( formaldeyde, CuSO4, sheep dip etc). Some people use a salt bath but I am not sure what concentration. I am sure some of the more expert goldfish people on here can help.

In Christchurch, outside they will get quite a range of temperatures but it will be gradual if you have them in a reasonable volume of water, and they will be OK. The warmer they are the faster their metabolic rate, the more they will eat and the faster they will grow. Diseases and bacterial blooms will grow faster as well. Lots of food and fresh water is the go.