Sick Oranda

jjay3

Hi there. I need help with a sick Oranda. I have had him (Olly) for 5 years, never had a problem. In the last few days he has looked a little off colour. His symptoms are as follows.

Day 1. Hanging vertically in tank, then floating up the top if the tank, not listing and had dorsal fin up, just up the top of the tank.

Day2. Down bottom of tank, dorsal fin up, but not looking happy, and scales have slight pinecone thing happening.

I have taken him out of tank, he is in 8lt hospital tank with oxy shell.Have used salts and Melafix. He is eating, and has dorsal fin up, swimming about nearly as normal, but still has pinecone thing happening, and stringy white poos.

He shares a 60ltr tank with red cap and fantail. Isn't hassled at all they have all lived happily together. I am not sure what if anything to do next?

The other boys are very vigious and I was wondering if he isn't getting enough food. he is the smallest. Help please. thanks

Hi, I'm no expert, but it sounds like a description I've read of DROPSY. I haven't seen the real thing, but perhaps you should Google it, or ask a LFS??

I think (!) the main cause is usually a bacterial infection...?

Check it out with someone more experienced than me but I've been reading up, and that sprung to memory from your description of Olly.

I think you need to act fast once you can see the pine cone thing happening as the internal infection is quite bad by then. Seek help from someone who knows what they're doing, quick.

Good luck keep us posted!

Hi there, well thanks for your posts. He has recovered believe it or not. As well as the pinconing he had a touch of finrot on his pectorial fins, not any of the others. I left him in his hospital tank for a week with salt and melifix and he is swimming and eating fine. All pineconing has gone down. Only last night his raggy edged fins looked abit blackish, fish shop said it is black spot so i have treated the tank for that. Other than that, he is bright, happy and enjoying being back with the boys (Eric) the redcap and Mo(Fantail).

I had to look up black spot as I had never heard of it. The site I looked at said black spots appeared when a fish was healing from ammonia surges. Or from pigmented cysts of intestinal flukes but these appear on body and fins, not the ends of fins. The white string poo indicates something internal though. What did they give you to treat it with?

Good to hear it has recovered. Diagnosing sick fish can be difficult and often, by the time it is showing symptoms, it is too late.

Hi, they didn't give me anything, just said to use white spot cure. I did abit of googling myself and found a site that called it black smudge, as you said healing from fin rot, and ammonia burns. I must admit I haven't paid as much attention to my tank since I had baby number 3 recently but am back on top of it now. Had the water tested today and they said it was great. So I am back to my weekly water changes etc.. they said black smudge would sort it self out with good diet and clean water.

I had been feeding them frozen bloodworms to. Not often thought so it may have been a combination of errors. I didn't think the white spot dosage would hurt though. I have just done quite a large clean of the tank last week, maybe I should use tonic salts?

I have increased the veges and plants to keep them clean inside!

Any thoughts?

I am not a fan of adding anything to my tank if possible (apart from water :lol: )

Nothing wrong with using salts as a bath for a specific reason but they are fresh water fish so I don't see why salts should be added all the time to a tank.

Sounds like it was possibly neglect that caused the problems in the first place and if you keep up the water quality you won't have any more problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just thought I'd let you know that Olly passed away today. Very sad for the family. had a funeral for him this afternoon. The kids where crying, so was I. He was great back in his old tank for about a week, then he went downhill again. His pineconing was worse, started getting some black soot type thing on him, then his hood appeared to have popped. He was looking very sick. Still had the dorsal fin up and still eating right up until the last few days, so we decided the best thing was to end his misery. Who knew losing a fish was this miserable. Iv'e had him longer than my 3 kids! Thanks for all the advice.