Help with lighting upgrade

Hoody

looking to upgrade the lighting in my tank as it dosnt appear to be pennetrating to the bottom? tank is 80wX40dX70h. Lighting is aqua one AL20d (2x25w 24'bulb's). Dont want to spend a whole heap as I'm saving for my holiday, but what would be my best option for around the $150 mark?? upgrade bulb's?? Extra light unit??

For 700mm high I'd think you'd want T5 fluoro. Don't think you'll have luck on that budget, unless you make it yourself. T5's are more efficent and provide more intense light.

(Aqua One AL20D is T8, as is most of the 'cheaper' :roll: lights).

If you DIY it I've seen great results from the 110W 6500K grow lamps + fittings from switched on gardner on deep tanks, but they need to be hung from the roof, and cost more closer to $350 I think.

Adding more lights will make the tank brighter, but wont light up the bottom.

Think you can pick up metal halides for around that price range. Probably a 150Watt one might work (not sure about spread of light width wise but should reach the bottom). The only downside is you would need to hang above your tank from roof or make up a frame of sorts.

Hans should be able to help you as he seems to know quite a bit about Metal Halides.