Tank Stand for 3 foot tank.

Dixon1990

You could have a look on trademe for an old dressing table, or set of drawers, or something else cheap, and then get some wood and make it a little bit sturdier if needed and just use that. All you need is some wood, a saw and some nails/screws. A few supports across the top, a couple on each end, and maybe a diagonal on the back to stop it from swaying.... Sweet as

Would this one here be alright for a tank of my size if i made it shorter?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/55_diy_pt1.php

The basic 4x2 and plywood stand is plenty strong and easy enough to build 8)

As long as you have some basic carpentry skills it should be no problem, although I would do the doors differently unless you have a big table mounted router and the raised panel bits for it. You can build simple doors out of T&G panelling much easier.

do you think that one in the link would be strong enough?

Yup, about 10 times stronger than it needs to be, but who cares :lol:

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...
And What would be the best way to make a hood?

And i have pretty much finished the stand now. Just need to put a base on it, How big should the base be? The stand has the same footprint as the tank so im geussing the base on the stand need to be bigger? And what should i paint it with?

And i have pretty much finished the stand now. Just need to put a base on it, How big should the base be? The stand has the same footprint as the tank so im geussing the base on the stand need to be bigger? And what should i paint it with?

Can anyone help me with this? As i have to buy the wood today.

Base should be the same size as the tank or larger depending on what finish you want. Best to buy a piece of wood thats a little too big to allow for cutting errors etc

If its too small when you get it home, just attach it at the front, nobody will see the gap at the back.

Can paint it with whatever you want, you could try and find a good quality sealer if you want it to last a long time (as plywood can bend overtime when exposed to moisture).

Hope that helps?

the tank has been completely put together and had doors put on. now all that has to be done is painted and put a floor down inside stand. Should i insulate the inside, if so what with?polystyrene? Because i am having tank inside the stand and i thought if it was insulated the heater wouldnt be running as much.

the tank has been completely put together and had doors put on. now all that has to be done is painted and put a floor down inside stand. Should i insulate the inside, if so what with?polystyrene? Because i am having tank inside the stand and i thought if it was insulated the heater wouldnt be running as much.

I dont think you need to insulate it. Wood is a reasonable insulator already. A tank enclosed in the stand will need less heating than a free standing one already.

Cheers

Ian