Furan 2

paekakboyz

I've read (somewhere on the forum) that Furan 2 can knock off your good bacteria and as a result cause an ammonia spike... I was in my lfs the other day and had a look at Furan 2 - it clearly stated that it did not impact on bacteria in the tank (filtration related bacteria).

What are peoples experiences with Furan 2?

cheers

Whereever possible I apply all treatments to sick fish outside of the aquarium. Sometimes making hospital tanks out of buckets. I never risk my good bacteria, because I've lost too many fish to nitrite spikes before.

I've had mostly good experiences with Furan2, but I set up hospital tanks each time, so couldn't guarantee their nitrogen cycle claims.

For serious 'save the fish' campaigns for bacterial problems, I thourougly recommend getting anti-biotics from your vet. For non-bacterial stuff I tend to just use salt baths, but Furan2 would be my second choice.

Thankfully it has been a long time since I've had to treat a sick fish, but I think this is mostly because I'm very careful with the good bacteria in the first place (now anyway).

• 4 weeks later...